SMDuino

If we cannot buy the SMDuino, where is the part list? I'm pretty new to making own boards and can't grasp this ..

I fail to see the point of the SMDuino, since by the time you're designing a board that you can solder it down to, you might as well put the MCU on the board... It's not like there's any black magic to making a board.

Parts list is right their in the downloads section of the SMDuino page as an xls file.

In my case I'm thinking of using it for the size. If you have an equal board with around the same size and functionality, don't hold in. Thought about the Arduino Mini Pro but, it's still a bit big.

Just program a bare ATmega328P. You can't get much smaller than that. It will be smaller than SMDuino. An Arduino is just a breakout board with convenient headers for accessing the pins of an ATmega328P chip, and a very small amount of support circuitry such as a power regulator, a couple of capacitors and a pull up resistor. You can include a crystal if you want it to run at 16MHz or leave the crystal out and run it with the internal 8MHz clock.

If you're getting started, get an Uno or Nano and get used to programming that, then get a DIP package ATmega328P going on a breadboard like this

Then finally graduate to the SMD ATmega328P which is a tiny little square chip with the same functionality and pins as the DIP package. The SMD ATmega328P is what is onboard the Nano and Pro Mini. All the same pins are available on the small SMD chip, and in fact it has a couple of extra pins not available on the DIP package.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-IC-ATMEL-TQFP-32-ATMEGA328P-AU-MEGA328P-AU-ATMEGA328P-MEGA328P-/400819677475?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d52b6e923

I usually order at least 2 to 5 of each item at a time, in case I make a mistake and ruin one, I won't have to wait for another shipment.

If you are new to designing boards, you should start with DIP uC,smd is harder to handle. There’s atmega328p dip version.

dmjlambert:
Just program a bare ATmega328P. You can't get much smaller than that. It will be smaller than SMDuino. An Arduino is just a breakout board with convenient headers for accessing the pins of an ATmega328P chip, and a very small amount of support circuitry such as a power regulator, a couple of capacitors and a pull up resistor. You can include a crystal if you want it to run at 16MHz or leave the crystal out and run it with the internal 8MHz clock.

If you're getting started, get an Uno or Nano and get used to programming that, then get a DIP package ATmega328P going on a breadboard like this

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard

Then finally graduate to the SMD ATmega328P which is a tiny little square chip with the same functionality and pins as the DIP package. The SMD ATmega328P is what is onboard the Nano and Pro Mini. All the same pins are available on the small SMD chip, and in fact it has a couple of extra pins not available on the DIP package.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-IC-ATMEL-TQFP-32-ATMEGA328P-AU-MEGA328P-AU-ATMEGA328P-MEGA328P-/400819677475?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d52b6e923

I usually order at least 2 to 5 of each item at a time, in case I make a mistake and ruin one, I won't have to wait for another shipment.

This is actually a helpful post, thanks for the quick explanation. Think I'm just gonna buy the chips then. Programming won't be a problem. Thank you again.

The link I gave earlier to get you started does not mention decoupling capacitors. You can't leave those out. Here is a better link:

dmjlambert:
The link I gave earlier to get you started does not mention decoupling capacitors. You can't leave those out. Here is a better link:
Gammon Forum : Electronics : Microprocessors : How to make an Arduino-compatible minimal board

Isn't it astonishing how common this is? It's like they never even tried it...

The tutorials on the arduino.cc website seem to be fairly good otherwise. I wish they could be re-done to include the caps. Well one more thing I guess, the tutorials should NOT use pins 11, 12, and 13 for ISP from an Arduino as ISP, but instead use the ICSP header, because next thing you know somebody is going to try to use a Leo, Micro, or Mega as an ISP programmer. The finishing touch would be the ArduinoISP example sketch should be renamed to Arduino as ISP and instead of using the SS pin for reset it should just use pin 10. I keep thinking of more things... I better just log sign off.