so lost with the avrispmkii !!!!!!!

I am running OS X 10.4.11 and arduino 012

I just bought an avrispmkii with the hopes of using it to program my arduino diecimila.

I followed the http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Programmer directions exactly and it didn't work.

Everytime I try to program the board the programmer light starts out in green and then goes to orange and is stuck forever (never finishing).

It is not clear if I need to install other applications/drivers in order for me to use the avrispmkii.

I followed the ladyada tutorial and installed AvrMacPack.

Still no change.

Whether I try burning the bootloader or programming a sketch the avrispmkii gets stuck. I guess I thought this would be more straightforward.

Is there another installation or configuration step I am missing???

I got it to burn the bootloader but it took about 10 minutes (!!!).

It can burn code too but is equally slow. There is obviously something wrong (orange light is on the whole time) since the programmer should be faster than using the usb-serial connection.

any clues????

I vaguely recall that some AVRISPmkII units went out with a very slow upload speed set by default. THere is info on the web on how to talk to it and change the speed.

Sorry that's kinda vague, but it's been a couple of years...

-j

Could you please post the command lines you are using?

Thanks,

Phil.

I am not using any command lines. I thought the arduino compiler took care of talking to avrdude.

Ok I figured some things out:

I had to get a PC and instal AVRstudio. In AVRstudio I upgraded the avrispmkii firmware and I configured the ISP frequency (changed from 8kHz to 125kHz).

This has hugely improved the speed of transfers to a realistic speed.

When AVRdude is launched by arduino, the following is printed at the start of the programming:

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct  9 2007 at 11:20:31
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/maccres/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port            : usb
         Using Programmer      : stk500v2
avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found AVRISP mkII, serno: 0000B0038993
         AVR Part              : ATMEGA168
         Chip Erase delay      : 9000 us
         PAGEL                 : PD7
         BS2                   : PC2
         RESET disposition     : dedicated
         RETRY pulse           : SCK
         serial program mode   : yes
         parallel program mode : yes
         Timeout               : 200
         StabDelay             : 100
         CmdexeDelay           : 25
         SyncLoops             : 32
         ByteDelay             : 0
         PollIndex             : 3
         PollValue             : 0x53
         Memory Detail         :

Does it look like there is a problem with reading the user configuration file for avrdude? (see the firs few lines)

Also I could not get the PC to burn the files due to usbdev_open() not finding a value.

Using the config files is confusing to me!!!

Does it look like there is a problem with reading the user configuration file for avrdude?

No. It is typical on unix systems (Linux, Mac OS X, etc) to allow a user-specific config file to override settings in a system-wide config file. These messages simply indicate you don't have a personal config file. This is normal; avrdude is being verbose.

You should not need to deal with the avrdude config files - avrdude already knows about the avrispmkii.

-j

The reason I asked was because I have yet to have success with an AVR ISP MK II on OS X--ah, but now that I think of it you're using 10.4.X and I'm using 10.5.X which had a breaking change in it.

Never mind, my experience won't be helpful for you.

--Phil.