So many compiler errors from other libraries

for example

Users/billbe/Documents/Arduino/libraries/DS3231/DS3231.cpp:289:16: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]
char *output= "xxxxxxxxx";

Is this normal?
^

(deleted)

warning/error, shouldn't be happening.

I agree that it's annoying to use other people's code with a lot of easily fixable warnings, when I'm very careful to always write warning-free code. I always have warnings enabled and I pay attention to them because they can be extremely helpful in catching bugs in my code. When there are a ton of errors from the libraries I'm using, it's difficult to spot my own warnings in the sea of red.

However, the thing is that this is code mostly written by volunteers in their spare time that was given to you for free. I'm sure they'd be happy to give you a full refund if you're not satisfied.

You have a few options:

• Look over the warnings from other people's code and then ignore anything that doesn't indicate a serious problem.
  • Fix the warnings in other people's code. Ideally, you would then submit a pull request back to where you got the code to contribute your improvements to the development effort.
  • Write your own perfect code from scratch.