Soccer advertising boards

What do you suppose are used for the big displays around the soccer fields? They look pretty bright & readable, even in direct sunlight.

have you checked Adafruit's website? :wink:

CrossRoads:
What do you suppose are used for the big displays around the soccer fields? They look pretty bright & readable, even in direct sunlight.

Sp. "Football" ( as opposed to the USA game of a"hand-egg")

They probably overdrive them - the advertising rates vs. the replacement costs is probably some crazy equation.

For what? Little 5050 SM LEDs, or WS2812s? I'm sure they're some bigger & brighter than that.
Durable too, these take direct hits from soccer balls. Maybe some kind of antiglare plexiglass over the face of the LEDs.
Going by high the advert signs are duplicated, I'm estimating these signs are 3 feet, maybe a meter, to 12 feet, maybe 12 meters long. Say an LED every inch, that's 144 LEDs/sq foot, 36 sq ft/panel = 5184 LEDs/panel. At least the one length of the field and the two ends have panels from end to end.
That's a boat load of LEDs!
Say 115 yards long x 75 yards long, that's at least 2385 sq ft of panel, 12.38Million LEDs.
"Dimensions
The length of the touch line must be greater than the length of the goal line.

Length (touch line):

• minimum 90 m (100 yds)
  • maximum 120 m (130 yds)

Width (goal line):

• minimum 45 m (50 yds)
  • maximum 90 m (100 yds)"
    And Brazil has 12 stadiums that are setup with panels?

144 million LEDs. Wow.

Here we go: http://www.prodisplay.com/led-perimeter-advertising-systems.html
LED Perimeter Systems

Standard Options
· 16mm SMD (3-in-1) System
· 20mm LED Lamp System

The standard LED Perimeter Advertising System can vary in size (generally 200 – 250 metres) and comes complete with PC control system, power / data distribution boxes, cables, flight cases and operating software. Our factory engineers will accompany the system to assist with the initial installation and to commission the system. They will also train local engineers on general maintenance and the operation of the software system.

16mm SMD (3-in-1) System
· Module size - 1024 x 1280mm
· Nichia high brightness SMD Module
· Pixel pitch - 16mm
· Brightness - 5700 nits
· Viewing angles - 140° (Horizontal & Vertical)
· IP65 Front / IP54 Rear
· Stackable modules
· 3 year warranty (inc. spare parts)

20mm LED Lamp System
· Module size - 960 x 1280mm
· Nichia high brightness LED Module
· Pixel pitch - 20mm
· Brightness - 7000 nits
· Viewing angles - 120° Horizontal
· IP65 Front / IP54 Rear
· Stackable modules
· 3 year warranty (inc. spare parts)

20mm, that's a little smaller than my estimate of 1" (25.4mm).

I'd think they'd be distracting to the players.

But they're nothing like the billboards or bus panels - the football panels only have to last 90 minutes.

Pg 20 here shows the actual LED modules
http://www.prodisplay.com/download/pro-display-led-perimeter-systems.pdf
660W/m^2.
175KW/Hr power needed. Wow.