Software for robotic arm?

Hi guys I am not sure if this is the right section but it would be good if I could get some help and ideas..

I am going to build a six axis robotic arm out of stainless steel with drivers, nema stepper motors and an arduino mega. I will have to code them separately at the same time doing different things.

My question is.. Is there any software out there that could save me from creating heaps of code that could interface with the arduino. It will be a pain to be counting steps to find the home location for the arm all the time then implementing them into the code.

I might use this as evidence and a source in my assessment. Let me know if you do not consent.

Thanks dyl

nema stepper motors

Do you have any idea what NEMA stands for? What it does?

I will have to code them separately at the same time doing different things.

Them is a pronoun with no referent. Are you referring to programming the "stainless steel with drivers" (whatever that means), the stepper motors, or the ONE Mega?

I have a bunch of stepper motors. Not a single one of them is programmable. Stupid things. All they can do is step.

It will be a pain to be counting steps to find the home location for the arm all the time then implementing them into the code.

I feel your pain. Get over it.

You really need to step back and describe your project in better detail. I'm peeking over the top of my monitor and looking at our robot. It uses 6 stepper motors, with encoders, to move. It is connected to a huge box that determines how many steps each motor needs to take, in what order, to move the end effector from point A to point B.

Now, the huge box is mostly empty, and could have been a lot smaller. But, still the controller has no idea what the data that it gets is trying to make the robot do. It simply knows that the list of 6 joint angle values needs to be made to happen.

Converting 3D real world position information to joint angles is a complex topic, requiring complex software, and a thorough understanding of the kinematics involved, and of inverse kinematics, to write that software.

Just using the software to make the robot do something is non-trivial.

Just how much of the end-to-end process are you trying to re-invent? Don't think I'm trying to discourage you. Far from it. If you can write all the software, and make it work with the hardware you have constructed, more power to you.

But, you might need to rein in your expectations, and focus on a smaller subset of the end to end process.

Sorry if I was poor and careless with my words but I understand what you are saying. What I meant by the nema motors was the sizing…
E.g. nema 17 stepper with a current of 2 amps at 24v.

The motors will control gears and rubber belts attached to the robotic arm in order to move accuracy and smoothly. I was just looking for ideas on software that could help me. I don’t mind coding that at all just curious.

I have heard on processing which I think is interfaced with the arduino and you can create such programs of your own.

Now my plan is to have those steppers connected to drivers controlled by the arduino. Are you suggesting I use encoders to get feedback, position control.
Anyway here are links to drivers and motors I will b using… Thanks

Driver: https://www.pololu.com/product/2133
Motor: perhaps bigger size. Do not know yet(in the planning stage)
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10846

And estimated size of my project…

PART_1485265055108.jpg

Hi!

You're setting a very, very ambitious goal for yourself.

Here's somewhere to start. You can order this kit, assemble the arm, and load the code. It's really just a two degree of freedom arm with a pivoting gripper, but you'll learn a lot about inverse kinematics. Work out the kinematics from simple trigonometry, and then research how to do it with linear algebra. For six axes the math will be very complex.

http://openlab.makeblock.com/topic/57830777f140d8347caaa052

It's fun, though!

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~allen/F15/NOTES/invkin.pdf