Software Noob Here

Hello!

So I've been working on a project and I'm just about at the point where I'd like to make some pretty software. I've made a device for automating a garden (gardenbot.org) but their software is a little weird and I'd like to start a-fresh.

Basically, what I have now is an Arduino picking up data from sensors every minute or so. It also listens for commands to execute tasks like turning water on. I'd like to write a program that processes the data as it comes in, allows you to look at graphs and perform statistical analysis, and to execute the automated tasks, either by clicking a button, setting up a schedule, or by writing more complicated algorithms dependent on the sensors. The key is I want it to be easy so any fool can write an algorithm, kind of the way Excel enables people to "program."

I've done a good bit of Java but that things clunky and I'd prefer learning C++ before doing something in there again. Also, I'd like to make it run on a browser if possible (a cloud type program, I guess?) - does C++ allow that?

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

does C++ allow that?

I'd suggest that you look at C#, instead. ASP.NET is based on C#, and allows you to build apps that are Windows or Web based.

The key is I want it to be easy so any fool can write an algorithm

There's nothing wrong with requiring some intelligence. Anything more complicated that "connect the dots" programming requires some intelligence. Even connect the dots stuff will cause problems if you connect them in the wrong order.

PaulS: I'd suggest that you look at C#, instead. ASP.NET is based on C#, and allows you to build apps that are Windows or Web based.

Well that looks excellent - basically I can run the software on a Windows server and then people can query it with a browser?

And by making it fool proof I basically mean that I want users without programming knowledge to be able to write algorithms defining the behavior of the automative systems... so yeah, we're not talking about real fool's but just not necessarily computer savvy users.

What about Python? I've never used it before - does it create nice user interfaces?

does it create nice user interfaces?

No everything I have seen looks a mess.