SoftwareSerial library vs. RX&TX pins with JY-MCU bluetooth module?

I'm trying to interface a JY-MCU bluetooth module with a pro mini for the first time and have a decision to make: either connect the RX&TX pins on the pro mini to the bluetooth module, or use the SoftwareSerial library.

Since the pro mini doesn't have a USB port, it is programmed through it's RX&TX pins. Does this mean if I connected the bluetooth module to the RX&TX pins of the pro mini that I would have to disconnect the module when programming?

I think the answer to the above question is "yes," which is why I'm leaning towards using the SoftwareSerial library. However, before I go this route, I'd appreciate your input on the matter. Are there any downsides to using the SoftwareSerial library?

While I don't know anything about ProMinis, I'm sure the answer is yes, but I'm also sure this isn't a good enough reason to use Software serial. I submit that Software Serial is a method of last resort.

You might find the following background notes useful

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~npyner/Arduino/GUIDE_2BT.pdf http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~npyner/Arduino/BT_2_WAY.ino

Nick_Pyner: I'm sure the answer is yes, but I'm also sure this isn't a good enough reason to use Software serial. I submit that Software Serial is a method of last resort.

Why should it be a "last resort"? What would be a "good enough" reason to use SoftwareSerial?

Why should it be a "last resort"? What would be a "good enough" reason to use SoftwareSerial?

The only good enough reason is that you have absolutely no other option. SoftwareSerial blocks the Arduino for long periods with interrupts disabled which poses lots of problems if you have to deal with hardware that needs a reaction within some time. And it works reliably only up to about 9600 baud, above that you need a very tolerant communication partner because the timing gets quite lousy and I never reached anything above 38400 baud even not with adapting hardware.

So SoftwareSerial is really only a method of absolutely last resort.

The OP should build its hardware so that it's easy to disconnect the bluetooth module or use an ICSP programmer to update sketches.