SoftwareSerial on atmega8?

Hi, fairly new to this..

I'm trying to use softwareserial.h on an atmega8, but I get errors like these:

/home/buzh/arduino-1.0.4/libraries/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp: In member function ‘void SoftwareSerial::begin(long int)’: /home/buzh/arduino-1.0.4/libraries/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:531: error: ‘PCICR’ was not declared in this scope /home/buzh/arduino-1.0.4/libraries/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:534: error: ‘PCMSK2’ was not declared in this scope /home/buzh/arduino-1.0.4/libraries/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:534: error: ‘PCMSK0’ was not declared in this scope /home/buzh/arduino-1.0.4/libraries/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:534: error: ‘PCMSK1’ was not declared in this scope /home/buzh/arduino-1.0.4/libraries/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp: In member function ‘void SoftwareSerial::end()’: /home/buzh/arduino-1.0.4/libraries/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:549: error: ‘PCMSK2’ was not declared in this scope /home/buzh/arduino-1.0.4/libraries/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:549: error: ‘PCMSK0’ was not declared in this scope /home/buzh/arduino-1.0.4/libraries/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:549: error: ‘PCMSK1’ was not declared in this scope

I know that my sketch is OK, because it works fine when I'm compiling for my Uno, but as soon as I switch to my breadboard atmega8 target it fails to compile. (FWIW, blink compiles, uploads and works on the -8). I'm guessing that something is missing from the atmega8 environment?

All my sketch does is set up RX/TX pins and send some text back and forth to a bluetooth module. Is it possible to use softwareserial to this end, or is there some other workaround?

Any help appreciated!

PCICR is the Pin Change Interrupt Control Register. Looks like the ATmega8 doesn't have Pin Change Interrupt hardware and SoftwareSerial uses that for receiving data.

Perhaps you should switch to the ATmega168A or ATmega328P.

Ah, I see.. guess I will have to wait for the mailman then :)

Thanks for the clarification!