Solar charger with power path

Andreas Spiess has a new video on converting the typical inexpensive TP4056 charger/protection module into a solar charger with power path, also known as load sharing. I have a couple questions about his design, and hope someone here who has solar panels could test it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37kGva3NW8w

First, the mosfet he uses is not logic level, which is a poor choice for switching voltages in the 3V-5V range. An NDP6020P (TO-220) would be better.

Second, I've run a test (see picture) using a logic level mosfet with an adjustable power supply standing in for the solar panels. And for a range of input voltages below 4V (passing cloud), the battery is powering the load through the mosfet's body diode, either fully or partially. Of course that's using a low impedance power supply and a fully charged battery, so I don't know what happens with solar panels and a partially discharged battery. I think there's even some chance the system would oscillate with a higher impedance solar source. Hopefully someone will be able to test that in real daylight.

With a fully-charged (4.2V) 18650, as the input voltage dropped, the output voltage got as low as 3.73V when the body diode was carrying the load, before rising back to 4.2V as the mosfet finally turned on fully. If the battery was 3.7V instead, the output might not support even the best 3.3V LDO when clouds are passing.

So I wonder if this is really a good solution. One thing that might help some would be to add another Schottky across the mosfet - in parallel with the body diode. That would provide a lower voltage drop than the body diode, and move any diode-related dissipation out of the mosfet. When I tested that, the lowest output voltage was 3.99V, so about a quarter volt better.

Not having a solar panel to experiment with, I decided to learn LTspice and simulate the circuit. The results can be found in my Github repo:

https://github.com/gbhug5a/Solar-Power-Load-Sharing

It turns out that whenever the solar panel is supplying current to the load, the mosfet is turned off, and any current supplied by the battery flows through the mosfet's body diode. So the only time you get any benefit from the mosfet is at night. At other times it all behaves like a two-diode model. And adding a second Schottky diode across the mosfet in parallel with the body diode reduces the Vf voltage drop a good bit.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.