Solar-Powered Charger

Is it possible to connect the USB/DC li-poly charger with a solar panel directly to Arduino UNO or does it have to be first connected onto the breadboard then to Arduino UNO? Is it also possible to stick a USB charging port in a certain fashion?

I'm trying to create a solar-powered charger in a head accessory.

dutchtestaccount:
Is it possible to connect the USB/DC li-poly charger with a solar panel directly to Arduino UNO or does it have to be first connected onto the breadboard then to Arduino UNO? Is it also possible to stick a USB charging port in a certain fashion?

I’m trying to create a solar-powered charger in a head accessory.

I don’t believe you need an Arduino depending on what you are trying to do. If you are using the solar panel and lipo charging board to strictly charge another device then you do not need an Arduino. I have posted below a Powerboost 1000 that I purchased from Adafruit and 2 small solar panels. you can wire the panels to the lipo charging board and it will boost the voltage to 5v at 1000ma to charge your phone, tablet, etc. If you had a larger solar setup then you should be able to use a buck converter to get it to your desired voltage.
More explanation would also be helpful.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html .

Can you post spec/data of the USB/DC li-poly charger with a solar panel please?
So we can see what the device is capable.

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

I would suggest that using a Lipo battery in a 'head accessory' needs a good deal of care and understanding of the limitations and risks of using lithium batteries.

For instance you are building in a cut out that turns the device off when the battery falls below 3.3 to 3.0V arn't you ?

Solar LiPo charge module

tjones9163:
I don't believe you need an Arduino depending on what you are trying to do. If you are using the solar panel and lipo charging board to strictly charge another device then you do not need an Arduino. I have posted below a Powerboost 1000 that I purchased from Adafruit and 2 small solar panels. you can wire the panels to the lipo charging board and it will boost the voltage to 5v at 1000ma to charge your phone, tablet, etc. If you had a larger solar setup then you should be able to use a buck converter to get it to your desired voltage.
More explanation would also be helpful.

The concept would go like this:

We were planning to attach a maximum of 4 solar panels in the hat. Then, when these panels absorb solar energy, a LCD would display how much battery the hat contains. From there, that will determine if the user can charge his/her gadget in a usb port OR press a button to activate lights that we would be installing in the hat [We would be using Adafruit RGBW Neopixels in our case.]. We're also adding a temperature sensor to detect if the weather's too hot.