solder station question

Not sure if this is the right place for this question. But: I have been bought a Hakko 936 solder station for my birfday by my lovely wife. But, it has a japanese plug. Is there an issue with me simply swapping the plug for a uk plug? Should I buy some kind of power adapter too (it runs on 220v)? I'm also going to guess that if the voltage is slightly off I need to re calibrate the iron?

As you can tell I really am a newbie.

thanks.

I thought Japan used 100V, 50 or 60Hz depending on the region. I assume you are in the UK, where you have 230V? If it's made for 100V you will need a transformer.

Check the voltage, mains leads should all be brown/blue/green-yellow these days so swapping plugs is straightforward.

Why don't you ask the supplier? (No, not your lovely wife)

chris_parkman: Not sure if this is the right place for this question. But: I have been bought a Hakko 936 solder station for my birfday by my lovely wife. But, it has a japanese plug. Is there an issue with me simply swapping the plug for a uk plug? Should I buy some kind of power adapter too (it runs on 220v)? I'm also going to guess that if the voltage is slightly off I need to re calibrate the iron?

There should be a manual. Go to page 10 and see the IPB (illustrated parts breakdown). See the part numbers there for the transformer? Different part for different supply voltages. Looks like a different fuse as well. So, you either feed it what it needs (use the transformer part number to figure if it's 100VAC or 120VAC) or swap out the parts. BTW, it isn't a Japanese plug. Japan uses U.S. plugs. Well, it's a bit silly to refer to them by nationality anyway. If you're curious, you can look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_with_mains_power_plugs,_voltages_and_frequencies and see the plugs listed in the sidebar.

If you don't have a manual, use the PDF: http://www.hakkousa.com/AHPDirect/download/um/936e199809a.pdf

gah. I think the plug was a european standard. It's definitely a 220v though. have just changed plug for now. seems to work fine. Though I'm not 100% that it is calibrated correctly. I was unfortunate because my first soldering practice was with a horrible iron bought from maplins, wasn't sure at first if i found it so difficult owing to the bad iron - a bad workman .... . However now I have this spanky new hakko, I am finding it a million times easier.

get a liquid flux pen and it becomes a brain dead operation =) even with a crap iron (though a decent iron does help a million due to its better user control and its ability to come back to temperature much quicker)