Soldering an nRF52840

I am building my first board from scratch. I’ve dealt with through-hole components, and I am now ready to move to SMD. My board uses the nRF52840 module from Raytac. It doesn’t look like it’s going to be easy to solder myself, and I was just wondering

1. Has anyone hand-soldered (with a stencil) a component like this (has 2 rows of very small pads)?
  2. If so, did you have any tips on how to best to do it?
  3. Or, should I just avoid tackling this myself and find a place/someone else to do it?

I have several other SMD components to solder as well; however, they are small SMD caps, resistors, and LED’s.

Soldering is not a problem if you have some type of oven that can be temperature controlled. Using a stencil is mandatory. Are you using leaded solder or lead-free?

Your problem is in placing the device correctly on the pads.

Paul

Leaded solder. Placement is exactly what I'm referring to. I can't see if they are lined up since the pads are underneath (and it's 2 rows...). How would you normally place something like that? I do not have a reflow oven.

czu001:
Leaded solder. Placement is exactly what I'm referring to. I can't see if they are lined up since the pads are underneath (and it's 2 rows...). How would you normally place something like that? I do not have a reflow oven.

We would program one of the pick-and-place machines to build the board. We use a similar package for a GPS assembly.

Many people use a toaster oven along with a DVM with a thermocouple to set the temperature to what is required for the solder paste. We have one for one-off assemblies, but haven't used it in several years.

Paul

That’s what I thought. It sounds like I’m going to have to find a place to place that component. Does anyone have any suggestions for low volumes (10)? I was looking at ScreamingCircuits and Seeed (I live in TX, USA). I have a full PCB to assemble (47 total components - 2" by 3" board or so - with pick and place coordinates).

I’m not familiar with this process (my first custom board). I can source my entire BOM from Digi-Key with the exception of 1-2 parts that I’ll solder myself. Any help is greatly appreciated. I understand this is more of a commercial thing, but I figured I would ask here since I am taking my Arduino board to a better “prototype” :slight_smile:

I spun up a different thread https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=618156.0

czu001:
It sounds like I'm going to have to find a place to place that component. Does anyone have any suggestions for low volumes (10)? ace that component. Does anyone have any suggestions for low volumes (10)?

Wow...brave soul trying to solder to that little fella.
Could try JLCPCB for a quote online. Imagine it will not be cheap given postage handling fees.