Soldering an RS232 connector

Hello,

I want to connect an Amiga Joystick to an Arduino. The joystick has an RS-232 female connector. Now I got an RS-232 male connector but I still have a problem with soldering those.

What is the easiest way to wire 15 jumper wires to an RS-232 male connector?

Thanks!

ok, i see this video now: - YouTube

I'll try again.

Use liquid flux
400'
Small diameter solder 60-40
Pre-tin wires (use flux)
In and out quick so you done melt the plastic case.

You know that the voltage levels of RS232 are not directly compatible with an arduino, don't you?

Commodore/Amiga used the DE-9 connector scheme, but there isn't any RS-232 (et al.) signalling going on.
The Commodore/Amiga joystick is just a set of switches (up, down, left, right and fire)

[quote author=Runaway Pancake link=msg=1985651 date=1417570589]
Commodore/Amiga used the DE-9 connector scheme, but there isn’t any RS-232 (et al.) signalling going on.
The Commodore/Amiga joystick is just a set of switches (up, down, left, right and fire)
[/quote]Aha, OK thanks for the info. It’s like the common use of “ethernet plug” instead of RJ45 connector then?

I'd say.
Even the D-sub naming gets jumbled (I'm a stickler.)

[quote author=Runaway Pancake link=msg=1985703 date=1417574404]
I'd say.
Even the D-sub naming gets jumbled (I'm a stickler.)
[/quote]OMG yes. and I always get male and female around the wrong way. To me it just seems right that the one with all the holes should be the female and the one with all the pins should be the male.

KenF:
To me it just seems right that the one with all the holes should be the female and the one with all the pins should be the male.

That isn't an accident, btw...

KenF:
To me it just seems right that the one with all the holes should be the female and the one with all the pins should be the male.

And that indeed is the case for “D” connectors. People get confused about a line socket and a chassis male.

So am I.

Curiously, the OP referred to a fifteen pin connector, of which there are two sorts, and it was the PC that used a 15-pin joystick connector.

Paul__B:
And that indeed is the case for "D" connectors. People get confused about a line socket and a chassis male.
So am I.

Every supplier I know, considers the one with the holes to be the male. Because looking at the whole plug, it's the one with the holes that goes inside the outer screen of the female.