Soldering without soldering iron

while i dont have a soldering iron i must solder some cables, is there a way to solder them without an iron?
i have glue gun , tape and fire.

liquid rosin, dip wire ends and twist together, wrap thin solder wire/tape around and carefully heat. Then remember that you should have added the heat-shrink tubing first (!)

Are you soldering the cables to other cables or, seeing as this is the Arduino forum, to an Arduino, switches, LEDs or sensors ?

Go on. Buy a cheap soldering iron. You know you want (need) to !

yes soldering to other cables,i will buy a soldering iron but my project needs to be done this week and cargo takes time here

“ while i dont have a soldering iron i must solder some cables, is there a way to solder them without an iron?
i have glue gun , tape and fire.”

???
NOOOOOOOOO!

aryze:
yes soldering to other cables,i will buy a soldering iron but my project needs to be done this week and cargo takes time here

Where is "here" ?

Do you know a plumber?

Some wood working hobbyist use solder irons.

A jeweler.

Can you generate plasma arcs, though it is a mad idea?

This is the perfect place to use “WIRE NUTS”!!!

Paul

Idahowalker:
Do you know a plumber?

Never ever use plumber's soldering equipment for electronics, they use acidic flux which destroys electronics.

i must solder some cables

If you are soldering connectors to cables, I simply wouldn't attempt it without a soldering iron.

Some connectors us solderless crimp-on terminals, but you'd need a crimping tool and some of them don't work well unless you have the "right" (usually expensive) tool.

Or if it's something "standard" like an audio or video cable, you can buy a pre-made cable and cut-off one end. Then use a different method of connecting the dangling wires. I've done that quite a bit with audio connectors.

If you are connecting wires together you can use [u]wire nuts[/u] or there are various kinds of screw-connection terminal blocks.

You might be able to "make" a soldering iron (out of a nail or something?) and heat it with a flame just-before soldering... I don't know...

Do you have solder? It should be flux-core "electrical" solder, and/or it's always helpful to have additional flux. Again, "electrical" flux, not plumbing flux.

No description of what these wires are, how large and heavy, what power or signal they will be carrying, where they are, why you need them connected, no photos to indicate any such detail, so a foolish question overall.

I will add to the medley, your first questions were a couple of weeks back and detail some work with Arduinox, this should have been addressed back then. If you are going to do any meaningful electronics work, you first need a soldering iron and some practice. Your current problem cannot be sufficiently urgent not to wait until you have it. :astonished:

Use screw connectors.

aryze:
while i dont have a soldering iron i must solder some cables, is there a way to solder them without an iron?

Do you have any solder? If not, then you might rough up the surface of the exposed wires with sand paper, and then tightly twist the ends together with pliers or similar. If you have solder, then heat the wires in various ways and apply the solder.

zoomkat:
Do you have any solder? If not, then you might rough up the surface of the exposed wires with sand paper, and then tightly twist the ends together with pliers or similar.

That's awful advice. Any twisted wires will form a very unreliable joint and will cause grief and more grief,
its simply not worth it, use something reliable. The wire nuts comment above was ironic, note!

Screw terminal blocks, soldered joint, punch-down connectors and crimp connectors like Faston's, all are 5000% percent better IMO.

OK, so I just had to go eBuy a pack of "wire nuts" just in case. :grinning:

In the process, came across these "lever nuts".

These are arguably more re-wirable than the wire nuts. :sunglasses: Although I wonder whether - or presume that - the plastic deforms according to the gauge of the wire used.

"That's awful advice. Any twisted wires will form a very unreliable joint and will cause grief and more grief,
its simply not worth it, use something reliable. The wire nuts comment above was ironic, note!"

Are you going to concentrate really hard and say some magic words and make the proper materials appear at the OP's place? If the OP can't get the proper materials and tools to make proper connections, then the OP will have to make do with what is available. :wink:

No disrespect intended. Buy yourself a soldering iron/pencil.

I’ll assume you have solder and not much else. The only approach that comes to mind is to to heat a common nail or piece of heavy #14 or #12 copper wire using whatever method you have, get it really hot then try to solder using the nail / copper wire as an iron.

I don’t believe flame directly on the joint will work, the excess heat will oxidize the surface before the solder wets to the wires you are trying to solder.

As I was writing this, I thought of another idea. Never tried this but it might work.

1. Wrap the connection to be soldered with solder.
  2. Wrap the solder and connection with layers of aluminum foil.
  3. heat the assembly with whatever means you have.

I’m thinking the aluminum may hold off the oxidation creation enough for the solder to melt and wet the wires.

Good luck

And indeed that is an “emergency” method which will generally work, but the message in this case is either to use screw terminals from the electrical wholesaler or wait until the soldering iron arrives. :roll_eyes: