Solding prototype from Uno to Mini

Hello, I have my programming ready to be put into the full prototype. I am soldering everything together to be compact using the Arduino mini but set up the programming with the Uno and breadboard. How do I transition to the Mini? I used https://www.instructables.com/id/Uploading-sketch-to-Arduino-Pro-Mini-using-Arduino/ to set up the mini on the breadboard. How do I know if the sketch uploaded to the mini?

Can you connect an FTDI Basic (or equivalent clone) to Rx, Tx, DTR, +5, Gnd and do normal serial downloads?

Or, connect Reset on the Uno to Gnd, then connect Rx, Tx, +5, Gnd, to the promini. In the IDE, select File/Preferences and turn on Verbose outputs.
Press & Hold reset on the mini. Start the download, when you see the "compiled xxx of 32xxx bytes" kind of message, release reset on the mini. May take a couple of tries to get the timing right.

I don’t have the FTDI Basic. I am trying to do it on the Arduino Uno

If you Google FTDI Basic you will learn ir is a USB to TTL Serial converter. You can't use an Arduino to repace it because an Arduino is a SLAVE USB ,
not a host USB . It can send and receive Serial TTL but cannot operate as a USB HOST which is what tge FTDI does. Buy an FTDI and install the USB driver for it or it will not work. See FTDI site for driver link.

I have this project due tomorrow. I cannot buy it. There is a way to use Arduino I copied the link in my first post along with a photo of my wiring. I don't know if the sketch transferred to the mini and how would I wire my project from the Uno and breadboard to the mini?

The wiring of the 10k and pushbutton is incorrect. The resistor has no effect the way it is inserted in the breadboard.

Using the Uno as a usb to serial converter can be done several ways. The best, IMO, requires the you remove the atMega328 chip and then connect to pins 0, 1 and RST on the Uno to the pro mini. This provides auto loading, you do not have to press the reset button on pro mini at the point where avrdude attempts to communicate with the processor.

The sketch program runs how it is supposed to when sent to the Uno. Please stick to answering the question posted.

You have two questions in your original question:

How do I transition to the Mini?

Move the wires from the Uno to the mini. The PIN numbers are same.

How do I know if the sketch uploaded to the mini?

Wire the mini as the Uno was wired. If it works, the program downloaded.

I see an I2C LCD, a pushbutton and a 10k resistor (the resistor is not in the circuit). Are there any other components?

"It can send and receive Serial TTL but cannot operate as a USB HOST which is what tge FTDI does. "

FTDI is a USB slave, it cannot act as a host.

By putting the Uno into Reset state by grounding its Reset pin, the Atmega16U2 can act as the USB/Serial interface for the promini.

@WattsThat It would be more useful if you could properly answer my question without being condescending.

KatieManning:
@WattsThat It would be more useful if you could properly answer my question without being condescending.

It would be far more productive if you would attempt to explain what it is that you really need to know to complete your project rather than criticizing people that are trying to help you.

KatieManning:
The sketch program runs how it is supposed to when sent to the Uno. Please stick to answering the question posted.

In what way was #5 not a great answer to the question posted? As were some previous answers?

And I more than agree with #11. Waiting to the last moment for a MAJOR step in your project such as moving to a quite different board and not even knowing how to program that board is bad planning. And then you don't even have it soldered to perfboard yet.

Using an FTDI cable is the easiest way of programming a Pro Mini. I've never done otherwise. In the first batch of Pro Minis that I ordered I had two of those cables included... Fixing that last little bug after soldering the thing onto perfboard becomes a lot easier, too.

Did you ask Google ?

When you ordered the pro-mini did it occur to you to research WHY it's so small ( namely what's missing ? ( the FTDI chip) That's when you should have ordered the FTDI.

I've just done a search to see if I could find something to help the OP and found stacks of "instructables" and videos but the quality generally is quite grim. Usually, there is no overview of the process, the schematics are more or less useless with labeling missing or obscured, or videos with highly obtrusive background "music" or narrated with very strong regional accents. Pitfalls are not mentioned e.g. wiring differences - do I or don't I mirror TX and RX ? ( No for a Uno, yes for an FTDI). Some methods are "riskier" than others. It is not possible in certain cases e.g. with an smd ATMega328p UNO to remove the main chip. But even in most other cases where the DIP version of the chip is used, it is IMHO not desirable to remove it and better to use the Reset/GND "bridge" method using a jumper or a 10uF capacitor (As in part 2 of @Crossroads's first answer).

Anyway, that is a fact of the free software eco-system. Zero or only minimal quality checks are necessary before publication or release.

Anyway, back to the OP.

The instructable mentioned there, if followed, and if the Arduino Mini pro is a 5 volt version, and already has a bootloader installed, should work. You check this by uploading the example "bare minimum" sketch and checking that the built in led does not blink, then uploading the "blink" sketch. If the built in led now blinks, the upload method works and the main sketch can be loaded.

You make the transition from the Uno to the Mini Pro by simply transferring corresponding connections from the Uno to the pro mini and finding some way to power the it all afterwards. If you make solder connections to anything, you will not afterwards be able to use such components in the bread board.

The purpose of the button is not clear and has already been said, there is redundant wiring around it.

As Crossroads stated:

Or, connect Reset on the Uno to Gnd, then connect Rx, Tx, +5, Gnd, to the promini. In the IDE, select File/Preferences and turn on Verbose outputs.
Press & Hold reset on the mini. Start the download, when you see the "compiled xxx of 32xxx bytes" kind of message, release reset on the mini. May take a couple of tries to get the timing right.

@6v6gt,
Are you aware your post cites an instructable but does not link it ?

The instructable mentioned there

Where ? (my post (#12) ?) Doesn't say where .

The instructable link I was referring to and the one quoted in the OP (opening post by KatieManning) is this:

I can’t create a hotspot link to it either at the moment because l’m on a phone which is missing the forum edit toolbar, but you can cut and paste it in a browser.

It is similar to yours in post #12 in that it needs the removal of the ATmega328p chip.

Edit: Made URL into a hotspot

You don't need the toolbar. Just as easy to create links by typing [url=http://your.url]description[/url].

wvmarle:
You don't need the toolbar. Just as easy to create links by typing [url=http://your.url]description[/url].

Seeing how this is probably a dead thread, I was going to ask how you embeded the brackets but now that I quoted your post, the solution is obvious:

Are there any other common escape sequences that work for this board software? Are these documented anywhere?

These codes are [ur=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode]bbcode[/url].

wvmarle:
These codes are [ur=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode]bbcode[/url].

wvmarle:

OK Thanks. But I don't agree with "just as easy". Typing all those special characters :frowning: