Solenoid Valve for Non-restricted Air Flow

Hello,

Does anyone have any recommendation for an air flow solenoid valve that allows for free air flow without restricting the flow through the valve?
I bought an air valve from McMaster (MME-3QDS) and it just has too much flow resistance for my application. I also tried out a water solenoid valve and same problem.
I am using the valve for a project where the valve is used to divert exhaled human breath (i.e. low flow pressure). I am looking for a 3-way or 2-way, air control valve that is normally closed, runs on 12V or less, and has about 1/2" to 1/4" inlets.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I cannot imagine trying to exhale through a hole that small! Have you actually tried it?
Paul

Note the dimensions I mentioned are in inches. 1/2 inch is the dimension of garden hose and 1/4 inch is about a straw size. So should be plenty big enough to breathe through.

Not my garden hoses!
If you can breathe through a soda straw, then you can certainly breathe through a 3/4 solenoid valve.
Paul

Just to clarify, the inlet dimension is not the issue. It is the internal valve mechanism and dimension that is restricting air flow.

It sounds like you need a butterfly valve. They are not cheap BUT I think you can make one easily.

PVC pipe (HomeDepot) at whatever size you would like.

Drill a hole through the pipe.

Get a washer slightly larger than the pipe, glue it to a rod going through the drill hole (perhaps from a metal clothes hanger).

Operate it with an RC servo.

Sealing will never be great but with a little fitting I'll guess (hope?) the leakage will be small enough to not effect your readings.