SOLOMON SYSTECH support?

I am very reluctant to post this here, but one never knows.

I am rolling my own class to interface with TFT LCD.
I am making progress and using the spec to get to the "component level".
Run into a snag.
Using 8080 16 bits parallel interface which is documented as having two different cycles ( both write and read ) - basically first chip select ( CS) than write enable (WR) or in reverse.
No big deal, I can try both and see which one really works.
My code is not ready for such test.

But it wouldn't hurt to hear from someone who "been there done that" before.

I have been unable to get ANY response from the vendor - SOLOMON SYSTECH.
Anybody has a line on them ?
( Yes I DID Google for tech support or any contact)

Which controller are you interested in?

I am sure that Solomon Systech would give you individual support. Especially if you intend to buy 10000 chips.

I doubt that they would lose any sleep over a single Arduino punter

The data sheets are pretty easy to follow. Established chips like the SSD1289 has plenty of examples.

David.

david_prentice:
Which controller are you interested in?

I am sure that Solomon Systech would give you individual support. Especially if you intend to buy 10000 chips.

I doubt that they would lose any sleep over a single Arduino punter

The data sheets are pretty easy to follow. Established chips like the SSD1289 has plenty of examples.

David.

Thanks David.
Yes, that's the one. On page 63 of my copy of spec ( sorry I do not have the link, I copied the whole doc long time ago ) it talks about two cycles (CS/WR and WR /CS) and I have been unable to find how to determine which cycle to use.

But when I get my stuff to compile I'll just try both.

Just look at the write timing diagrams. It is easy to comply with an AVR. You need to be careful with Xmega or ARM. Especially the Xmega because it is better at GPIO than most ARM.

Note that Read timing is very critical. Most chips will behave if you write faster than the spec. They never read faster.

David.

david_prentice:
Just look at the write timing diagrams. It is easy to comply with an AVR. You need to be careful with Xmega or ARM. Especially the Xmega because it is better at GPIO than most ARM.

Note that Read timing is very critical. Most chips will behave if you write faster than the spec. They never read faster.

David.

Thanks for the tips.
One more - I am about to complete my write code and like to read it back ( from LCD) to verify.
However, the internal LCD RAM has to be initialized , bunch of control codes and that than there is a separate write to RAM code command.
So I assume than I cannot read back these control conmans anyway from LCD ( from where?) or until this whole RAM write command is done, right?

I should be able to verify the data written into ARM resisters, correct?

Sorry for bugging you.

With a SSD1289 you can read all the registers. Of course you need access to the RD pin. Many shields or adapters do not make RD available.

Start by writing a basic writecommand() and writedata().

Then you initialise the power and control registers.

And simply write the coordinates of an area. write each Pixel.

There are plenty of examples to study.

It is easier to just extend a Graphics class. e.g. Adafruit_GFX
Then you only need to write the hardware specifics of your SSD1289.
Circles, lines, text, ... are all guaranteed to work.

David.

Thanks
I actually started my own class because I wanted to control the hardware pins assignments , not to be tied down to shields pins.
I am about to set the LCD background color, and from there it should be "down hill".
And no, I'll will not reinvent the wheel for actual graphic functions.

Taught me a little about ARM registers, so it is not a total waste.