Solution to control on/off of 1000 LEDs using wifi/bluetooth and Mobile App

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to control the on and off of around 1000 LEDs individually using a mobile app.

I don't need to change the color of LED. Just on and off of the led using wifi/bluetooth is sufficient.

Can anyone suggest best possible solution for the same!!!

Thanks in advance.

The cheapest individual LED control is with colour LEDs so stick with that. For 1000 LEDs you need memory to hold the data so you will need to use a Mega.
Then you need a Bluetooth shield to receive the data. Then you need an app on your phone to send the data. The last part is the most difficult, as you will have to write an app for your phone, unless you can adapt one already written.

Thanks for the reply.

I will make the app and integrate the bluetooth module.

My main concern is

when i press a button in app, it should go to arduino via bluetooth/wifi and run the code that is assigned for one LED.

so basically in that code, it will be address of LED and on/off command.

Will that be possible ??

Thanks

gokzee:
when i press a button in app, it should go to arduino via bluetooth/wifi and run the code that is assigned for one LED.

so basically in that code, it will be address of LED and on/off command.

Will that be possible ??

Yes

I'm not sure what @Grumpy_Mike is aiming at with regards to the Mega reference but the on/off status of 1000 leds can be stored in 125 bytes if needed.

sterretje:
I'm not sure what @Grumpy_Mike is aiming at with regards to the Mega reference but the on/off status of 1000 leds can be stored in 125 bytes if needed.

The point is that the simplest way to do things on the I/O side is to have an LED Strip using addressable LEDs in colour even though the OP only wants to have one colour. Therefore you need three bytes per LED to store the data in for the driver, that means at least 3K of memory hence a mega. The alternitave would involve having 1000 digital outputs which is a bit silly and quite complex to implement.

Grumpy_Mike:
The point is that the simplest way to do things on the I/O side is to have an LED Strip using addressable LEDs in colour even though the OP only wants to have one colour. Therefore you need three bytes per LED to store the data in for the driver, that means at least 3K of memory hence a mega. The alternitave would involve having 1000 digital outputs which is a bit silly and quite complex to implement.

Ah. I suspected something in that line but could not figure it out for sure (I've never used addressable leds). Thanks for the extra detail.

gokzee:
I don't need to change the color of LED. Just on and off of the led using wifi/bluetooth is sufficient.

Question: how many leds would ever be on at once?

If the answer is only one, such as a circuit which lights up a led on a large map to indicate a location, there may be a way to do this with minimal circuit using a technique called charlieplexing.

If the answer is that all 1000 could be on at once, then another way would be to use 16 max7219 chips. Each chip could drive 64 leds. Whether this would work out cheaper than Mike's suggestion, you would have to shop around and "do the math(s)"