solutions for WSN coordinator/gateway?

Hi,

I would like to start experimenting with 802.15.4 for WSNs, especially using 6LoWPAN. As far as I can see, that looks pretty easy to do with Arduinos, since there is a IPv6 stack implementation for the Mega 2560: uIPv6 stack

Now the question is: assuming I have a Mega 2560+Wireless Shield+XBee Series 1 that talks to other Arduinos over 802.15.4, what would be the simplest off-the-shelf solution to exchange data with an ordinary PC?

I have found the SparkFun XBee Explorer Dongle that I could plug into a PC. Drawback: I would also have to develop code for the PC to read the data.

Alternatively, can I make an Arduino Mega 2560 multi-homed? I.e., use a Wireless shield with XBee module and an Ethernet shield at the same time? For a beginner like me, it is not clear from the descriptions of the shields whether that would work (physically as well as software-wise).

Any other options?

I hope the question does not sound too stupid. The main point is: What is the simplest off-the-shelf solution? For different reasons (students with time constraints involved), I would like to keep things as much "plug and play" as possible.

Thanks in advance,
reus14

Me again. Maybe my previous questions were too vague. Shorter and more concrete:

Can I simply put a Wireless shield with XBee module AND an Ethernet shield (or WiFi shield) on an Arduino Mega 2560 and use them at the same time?

I am surely not the first person trying to use an Arduino Uno or Mega for this purpose? (if yes: what are other people doing to solve this problem?)

reus14:
Can I simply put a Wireless shield with XBee module AND an Ethernet shield (or WiFi shield) on an Arduino Mega 2560 and use them at the same time?

Sure can.

I am surely not the first person trying to use an Arduino Uno or Mega for this purpose? (if yes: what are other people doing to solve this problem?)

I have two different implementations. One uses an ATmega328P (Uno-compatible) and a WIZnet WIZ811MJ module (essentially like the Ethernet shield, uses same W5100 chip). The other uses an ATmega1284P and a WIZnet WIZ810io module (WIZnet has a simple mod to the Ethernet library to support the W5200 chip in the WIZ810io.)

I use XBee-ZB modules with both (e.g. XB24-Z7WIT-004) with both.