(SOLVED) Arduino Buttons do not work

Hello,

I have 3 buttons hooked to my Arduino Leonardo along with a potentiometer, along with a Nokia LCD on the 3.3v power rail. For some reason, when I push on the buttons they do not close the circuit - the serial monitor continues printing the same value whether I’ve pressed the buttons or not. I’ve tried cleaning the contacts, changing the buttons out, simplifying the code, and rewiring it to use a pullup method for the buttons instead of a pulldown method. Using a jumper cable will work, and the buttons appear to work correctly when I use a multimeter on their ends.
Here’s my code:

int rpeatpin = 9;
int runpin = 8; 
int rsetpin = 10;

void setup() {

Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(rpeatpin, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(runpin, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(rsetpin, INPUT_PULLUP);

}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
  Serial.print(digitalRead(rsetpin));
  Serial.print(digitalRead(runpin));
  Serial.println(digitalRead(rpeatpin));
 delay(100);
}

My photos show the wiring setup.

What is causing the problem?

Using a jumper cable will work, and the buttons appear to work correctly when I use a multimeter on their ends.

With that in mind and known good buttons you are sure your button orientation on the board is correct? Since just using a jumper works and the buttons test good there isn't too many possibilities as to what is wrong.

Ron

The buttons are oriented correctly, and just in case they weren't, I flipped them around. That didn't work either though.

Hi cpusley. Are you holding the buttons down?

The way your code is written at the moment, you'll only see the state change if you keep it held down (unless your timing was perfect).

Yes, I am holding the buttons down, to no avail.

What value is the serial monitor printing? LOW or HIGH?

(deleted)

(deleted)

Thank you all for your help! Using smarts-jb's suggestion of connecting the diagnoals, I tried that and some of the buttons started working again!
I now have all 3 buttons working; (using smarts-jb's photo for reference) I connected pins 1 and 2 together on each button (along with 3 and 4 on another) so when I press the button, both sides of the switch are in contact with eachother. Now the button presses are registered with the Arduino!