[SOLVED] Arduino drivers for Windows 8.1 64bit

The CH340 driver on the manufacturers site is Windows 8 signed.

Still doesn't work for me :/ what should I do ?

So I just updated to 1.6.3 today (Windows 8.1/64 bit). Had 1.0.6 working for the longest time with no problems.
“Port” on my IDE Tools Menu is disabled which makes me suspect the driver didn’t install properly.

Reading this thread I see “Problem Solved” yet today’s drivers didn’t install.

There are other users stating we should go to some unknown site and download their drivers. Really? You really think I’m gonna just blindly download some unknown code into my machine.

Rather than users beating this subject to death (it’s been around long enough), why can’t Arduino once and for all put this to rest and fix the problem. Or is this gonna be another software/hardware presence that just leaves it’s users hanging?

Titanium69, does the board show up in windows device manager?
AFAIK drivers are correctly signed.

Arduino drivers contain NO CODE: it’s just a text file that tells windows to manage Arduino boards as serial devices.

IDE 1.6.3 has a bug that leaves Port menu greyed out and which affects some users and that has been fixed in latest nightly http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software#nightly

olivi55 Try it again, I have an Asus with win8.1 64 bit and it works. When choosing 7 to disable driver signature enforcement I had to use the laptop keyboard.

http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

Apparently after installing the driver, we should restart again which will turn the enforcement back on.

cheers Mike

I looked through release notes and found the correct driver for Windows 8.1.

http://hodentek.blogspot.com/2015/05/installing-arduino-ide-on-windows-81.html

The issue has not been solved. Updating drivers in Win8.1 64 bit device manager does not work. The only way is to go to the actual file in the IDE driver folder, right click and select "install". Even so windows regularly dumps the driver thus causing reloading of programs to fail. Here it is necessary to "re-install the driver" but this does not always work. Since "Vista", drivers have to conform to MS certification, which the Arduino drivers do not have.

Sploddy: Since "Vista", drivers have to conform to MS certification, which the Arduino drivers do not have.

Can you elaborate? AFAIK Arduino drivers are properly signed with a proper certificate

[quote author=Federico Fissore link=msg=2242677 date=1432279458] Can you elaborate? AFAIK Arduino drivers are properly signed with a proper certificate [/quote]

As you are an "Engineer at Arduino" Would it not be better that you elaborated on the status of your drivers? I am only posting what I have experienced, and my computing experience and creating software goes back to the TRS80 and C64 days so I did not come down in the last shower of rain.

The drivers I downloaded from your "latest" release of the IDE will not install thru the device manager in Windows 8.1 on a Gigabyte mobo. (as many other users have also experienced) This was because MS introduced a certification of conformity requirement with Win Vista et seq.

The object being that, especially from China, the market was being flooded with countless items of hardware from cameras to satellite TV cards, Audio devices, ad nauseum. The drivers accompanying these items of hardware are usually contained on a mini CD, often without any identification nor information. In many cases these so-called drivers contained malware and feral content that corrupted the MS operating systems. It was only with a certain knowledge of how to removed this feral software that one had no alternative but to completely reformat the computer and re-install the OS.

Many people just throw in software into the default folders in Program Files instead of putting applications etc onto a separate drive. As a result the OS directories and registries became cluttered with so much rubbish, the C: drive becomes nothing more than a garbage dump interfering the smooth running of the OS.

I have transferred my Arduino files and software to a different computer running Vista and installed the driver by using the "Install driver anyway, I know where it came from" option, This a P4GX-MX Asus mobo.

The Arduino drivers are firmly in place and the software and control of the Arduino UNO R3 board I have are running seemlessly. This computer is used exclusively for running Astronomy, Security and Radio related software and not used for games nor entertainment.

My primary interest in Arduino is for Radio and Security applications.

If the "latest drivers" have a genuine MS signed and approved certificate embodied, then why is Windows 8.1 rejecting them? Are they contained in the latest IDE release? If not why not and where are they?

Thank you for your kind attention :)

Windows drivers work fine and are up to date. I haven’t yet had a chance to access a Windows 8.1, but IDE and drivers installed flawlessly on a Windows 7 and a Windows 10

Similar issue except when I try to run the blink test it tells me Com 3 is busy which does not add up its the port I used to connect the thing

this is my my method for driver error, plz let me know is this method useful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj78KJxOsGA&feature=youtu.be

[quote author=Federico Fissore link=msg=2246868 date=1432542842] Windows drivers work fine and are up to date. I haven't yet had a chance to access a Windows 8.1, but IDE and drivers installed flawlessly on a Windows 7 and a Windows 10 [/quote]

I'm sorry but you are flat out wrong. Arduino drivers do not work on Windows 8.1

I know this is an older thread, but the problem of installing drivers for Arduino boards in Windows 8.1 64 bit pro is definitely NOT fixed. I am trying to get Windows to recognize and assign a com port to genuine Arduino Uno, genuine Arduino Mega2560, DFRobot Uno clone, and another Mega 2560 clone.

ALL of these boards get assigned a COM port and show up under Ports in Device Manager a desktop running Windows 7 64 bit Pro and can be connected to in Arduino IDE 1.6.1. NONE of these boards show up under Ports in Device Manager on my HP EliteBook laptop running Windows 8.1 64 bit Pro. The genuine Arduino boards get identified, with an exclamation, under Other Devices in Device Manager.

With Driver Signature Verification disabled in 8.1, I tried uninstalling and re-installing both Arduino 1.6.5 and 1.0.5 and installing the Arduino drivers manually. I tried installing aruino.inf with a right mouse click. Failed. I tried running dpinst-amd64.exe. Failed- the 3 applicable driver files had red X after this. I tried updating drivers manually through device manager, browsing to the arduino.inf file and even selecting board-specific files that appeared by unchecking the 'show compatible drivers' checkbox. I tried the Compaq modem trick, but no modems appear in my version of windows, and I can't find a legit driver for that modem online.

I'm sitting here dead in the water with several boards, and no way to program them on the computer that also has all the other CAD and 3D printer stuff related to the project. Very frustrating...

krumly: I know this is an older thread, but the problem of installing drivers for Arduino boards in Windows 8.1 64 bit pro is definitely NOT fixed. I am trying to get Windows to recognize and assign a com port to genuine Arduino Uno, genuine Arduino Mega2560, DFRobot Uno clone, and another Mega 2560 clone.

ALL of these boards get assigned a COM port and show up under Ports in Device Manager a desktop running Windows 7 64 bit Pro and can be connected to in Arduino IDE 1.6.1. NONE of these boards show up under Ports in Device Manager on my HP EliteBook laptop running Windows 8.1 64 bit Pro. The genuine Arduino boards get identified, with an exclamation, under Other Devices in Device Manager.

With Driver Signature Verification disabled in 8.1, I tried uninstalling and re-installing both Arduino 1.6.5 and 1.0.5 and installing the Arduino drivers manually. I tried installing aruino.inf with a right mouse click. Failed. I tried running dpinst-amd64.exe. Failed- the 3 applicable driver files had red X after this. I tried updating drivers manually through device manager, browsing to the arduino.inf file and even selecting board-specific files that appeared by unchecking the 'show compatible drivers' checkbox. I tried the Compaq modem trick, but no modems appear in my version of windows, and I can't find a legit driver for that modem online.

I'm sitting here dead in the water with several boards, and no way to program them on the computer that also has all the other CAD and 3D printer stuff related to the project. Very frustrating...

I install driver for WIN8.1 64, after I read usb integrate on board Arduino UNO. CH340G (read from USB IC) then google search for driver. For advanced restart you can find under: Settings/Change PC settings/update and recovery/recovery.

Arduino UNO clone work under win8.1 64 !!

Thanks

Exactly… None of previous or other methods worked for me.

Solution: I found the device I own by pluging it to other computer (running Windows 7), I took note of the model showed in “device manager” under ports list (in my case it was CH340), I searched for a driver for this device, and… Worked!

Cheers.

how to solve it?
i can’t install the driver

kkk.png

byrev’s post got me moving in the right direction, given I have a Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit HP Envy laptop
and I was getting Code 10 errors as to installing the driver the usual way for my new Arduino Uno R3.

But rather than install the driver the straightforward way, what finally worked for me was to
re-plug my Arduino into the laptop’s USB port (of course)
navigate to the Arduino/drivers directory, right click the
arduino.cat
and select Open
In the new dialog window, click the View Signature button.
In the next window, click the View Certificate button.
Now in this window, click Install Certificate
Windows could then successfully install the included signed driver
(which in this release has an end date of Jan. 18, 2017, BTW)

Then when I opened the Windows View Devices and Printers, it named the device
USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM3)

I could confirm this once I started the IDE Arduino 1.6.12.
Under the Tools menu, the type of device Arduino Uno, and the port COM3, matching the above,
were in fact selected automatically.

Then I selected the Example/Basics/Blink,
uploaded that, and saw that the blink rate of the on-board LED out of the box was now slowed to
once per second, as the example is supposed to do.

Hope all this detail helps other newbies, especially younger folks like my kid who can now just worry about his own code and not the install, hopefully :slight_smile:

I am trying to install the Galileo driver. These are the steps:

Step1: Install the driver by using this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24748/Intel-Galileo-Firmware-Updater-and-Drivers-1-0-4

Step2: Open Device Manager and tried adding the driver manually by clicking on the Gadget serial V2.4--> right Click---> update driver software-->Browse the comp-->C:\Galileo\Galileo Driver---> Next Then the Error pops saying "Window found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it".