[SOLVED] Arduino IDE 1.01 "An error occurred while starting the application."

Hi!
I have Win 7 x86, Arduino IDE 0023 is working great, but the last version has problem to open.
I see this error, and nothing happens. I have java 7 Rountime installed, but I think it doesn' matter because Arduino has his own java in folder.

Any suggestions?

There has been some indication that a corrupt preferences.txt file can prevent the IDE from launching.

Try deleting your preferences.text file.
It can be found in the following location, depending on what version of Windows you have:

c:\Documents and Settings<USERNAME>\Application Data\Arduino\preferences.txt (Windows XP)
c:\Users<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Arduino\preferences.txt (Windows Vista\Windows 7)

I removed but didn't help

Where do you have Arduino 1.0.1 installed?

For example, I have all of my versions of Arduino installed in these locations:
C:\arduino\arduino-1.0
C:\arduino\arduino-1.0.1\

What is the error message your are seeing?

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. I just tried IDE 1.0 and it's working great. When I'm trying to run 1.0.1 after couple of seconds I'm getting this:

Launch4j
An error occurred while starting the application.

I've run "arduino.exe --l4j-debug" command, and the results are (seem to be fine):

CmdLine: D:\arduino-1.0.1\arduino.exe --l4j-debug
WOW64: yes
Working dir: D:\arduino-1.0.1.
Bundled JRE: java
Check launcher: D:\arduino-1.0.1\java\bin\javaw.exe (OK)
Add classpath: lib\pde.jar
Add classpath: lib\core.jar
Add classpath: lib\jna.jar
Add classpath: lib\ecj.jar
Add classpath: lib\RXTXcomm.jar
Launcher: D:\arduino-1.0.1\java\bin\javaw.exe
Launcher args: -Xms128m -Xmx128m -classpath "lib;D:\arduino-1.0.1\java\lib\tools.jar;lib\pde.jar;lib\core.jar;lib\jna.jar;lib\ecj.jar;lib\RXTXcomm.jar" processing.app.Base
Args length: 156/32768 chars

IDE 1.0 works great from "D:\arduino-1.0"

Edit: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I just tried to run 1.0.1 on second machine (but still Windows 7 x64) but I'm having the same error :frowning:

I found a walkaround on arduino IDE code.google site. Get the 1.0.1 RC2 IDE (http://files.arduino.cc/downloads/arduino-1.0.1-rc2-windows.zip) and replace lib/pde.jar from 1.0.1 with RC2 version. Works fine in my case.

I sometimes get that message with 101, sometimes not, which in itself is a bit of an issue- intermittent problems are notoriously tricky to deal with.

BUT, even when I do get the error message, it seems to start up and run fine anyway!

I think this is a problem with the Polish translation. It included a translation of an internal string (used as a Date format); the translation makes the string invalid and there's an exception on startup. You could try putting your computer into a language other than Polish or editing the editor.languages.current preference in your preferences.txt file (e.g. setting it to "en").

See: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

@mellis big thanks for you and everyone who tried to help, setting

editor.languages.current=en

fixed the problem! :smiley:

I have English version of Windows, but I use Polish keyboard and regional settings, probably that's why Arduino IDE try to set Polish language.
I added [SOLVED] to the topic name.

Solution comming form Polskie Forum FPV • Wyświetl temat - Problem z niewstającym IDE Arduino i rozwiązanie

there is a problem with java engine initiation with languages/locales other than en/US
Solution is: create a.cmd file with one line:
java\bin\java -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US -classpath "lib;lib\pde.jar;lib\core.jar;lib\jna.jar;lib\ecj.jar;lib\RXTXcomm.jar" processing.app.Base

and start Arduino by calling a.cmd - not arduino.exe

addded to Issues - ID# 952

Worked for me!

It had been starting very slow - after a wait of 1 min or so. Now starts after 5 sec. The only preference I recall changing is “Use external editor”. Running 1.0.3 here under XP. I re selected “use external editor” and it is still OK. Will keep an eye on it.

Thanks!!!

I've just deleting the file and it works for me!

Thanks a lot