[Solved] Arduino Notebook Connection

Hello, I am finding it troublesome connecting my Arduino to a digiland notebook. I have the converter for direct connection and I am using an alternate power source for the Arduino because the notebook doesn't power it. The other day, it was reading the Arduino and it showed analog readings on the serial monitor. The PLX-DAQ spreadsheet did not work. Now it seems random as to whether or not the Arduino is recognized at all. It does not show up on the ports option in Arduino or in the device manager, so it simply isn't recognizing that the Arduino is connected. I don't know what might be wrong or different that causes it to not be recognized by the notebook anymore.

Quick update: It literally just started working after I made this post. Didn't change any connections. Is it a matter of patience and installing drivers in the background? Now it recognizes it, but then when I disconnect and reconnect it, it can't find it again. Also, PLX-DAQ still doesn't work for it. Is it possible for it to work on a notebook?

nunofyourbusiness: Also, PLX-DAQ still doesn't work for it. Is it possible for it to work on a tablet?

PLX-DAQ is a macro for Microsoft Excel version 2003 and earlier. I don't suppose there is any point in asking how you would install it on a tablet.

Nick_Pyner: PLX-DAQ is a macro for Microsoft Excel version 2003 and earlier. I don't suppose there is any point in asking how you would install it on a tablet.

I installed it on my computer and it works with excel 2010. Also calling it a tablet is my bad, it's a notebook. Anyway, it also has excel 2010. I'm wondering if it is able to read off of mini usb. Thanks for pointing out that distinction. I'm sure you were confused by that error of mine.

I have my Arduino Uno performing simple analog read serials on a laptop and it works fine. I can see the readings on the serial monitor and PLX-DAQ spreadsheet on 2010 Excel. I am trying to do the same thing on a Digiland notebook with Windows 10 and 2010 Excel. It uses a mini USB, so I got a male-to-male converter to plug it into the Arduino. It does not feed power to the Arduino, so I put on a 9v battery as a alternate power source. Sometimes, it recognizes the Arduino and shows its readings in the serial monitor, and other times it does not notice anything in the port. It is so frustrating because I did not change any wire connections and I made sure the connections are solid. Also, I could not get the PLX-DAQ to find the Arduino at all, even when the Arduino program can find it.

Does anyone know any other possibilities of why it might be so inconsistent in finding the Ardiuno? Is PLX-DAQ able to read through a mini USB, or is it Windows 10 or something else causing it to not find the Arduino?

Double posted here

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=416010.0

With a much better title.

Is that the same port that is used to charge the tablet? If so, you probably need an "OTG cable" not just a normal USB cable to ensure correct behavior.

Yes, the only port it has is the one it charges on. It looks like the OTG cable is probably the answer. Thanks for your help.

nunofyourbusiness: so I put on a 9v battery as a alternate power source. Sometimes, it recognizes the Arduino and shows its readings in the serial monitor, and other times it does not

IFyou are referring to a rectangular 9v PP3 battery, this might be the root cause of all your problems. The PP3 is not a viable alternate power source, as it essentially has no power, and is best used in devices that don't really require any, like smoke detectors.. You will certainly be better of using a proper power source, like a wall wart, at least until you get things working properly. Then, once you have stopped banging your head against the wall in the power department, you might be better placed to address the PLX problem - and certainly better placed to identify what the problem really is.

Nick_Pyner:
The PP3 is not a viable alternate power source, as it essentially has no power, and is best used in devices that don’t really require any, like smoke detectors…

I am not trying to argue with you, but I have not had trouble using 9v batteries so far. I had an Arduino with a moisture sensor and a transceiver using a 9v power source sending the data to a second one plugged into the computer receiving the data and plotting it in PLX-DAQ. I also made a unit with an LCD display and LCD lights, using an Arduino and running off of a 9v battery. That unit has no trouble either.

Being the first, last, and only person in the known universe not to have problems with using a 9v battery must be an enviable position to be in, but probably brief, and may have already passed.

I submit that

Sometimes, it recognizes the Arduino and shows its readings in the serial monitor, and other times it does not

and the fact that you are using a 9v battery, are suggestive of a power problem until a better explanation to the contrary becomes clear, and that is a problem best resolved before you embark on the other one.

My OTG cable finally got shipped here. The choice in cable was the source of all my problems, as now the notebook powers the Arduino and recognizes it in Arduino program and PLX-DAQ