[Solved] Arduino Yun chain of Issues

I am completely lost now, and I do not know what to do next. So here's my story

I got my Yun couple hours ago, Setup my Yun using the Official Getting Started with Yun Guide (including updating to the lastest Firmware 1.5.3 (Yun seems to be able to read the new firmware I placed in the SD card and the flashing went well) and IDE 1.5.8,

Tested the "Blink" sketch over WiFi (It worked)

So I went ahead to try this example where it allows me to view a picture from my Yun over the internet via my PC browser (Windows 8.1 64bit), everything was fine. So i want to take it futher by expanding my Yuns Disk space.

So, I did some search which leads me to setting up my micro SD card (FAT32 8GB Class4 Kingston) using this official guide (http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ExpandingYunDiskSpace), but then, when I upload the "YunDiskSpaceExpander.ino" over WiFi, I encounter this issue "Unable to connect: is the sketch using the bridge?"

So I did some more search, and found out I should upload via USB using the proper COM according to (http://playground.arduino.cc/Hardware/Yun) and (https://github.com/fitosegrera/yunsocket), BUT THEN I encounter this (Arduino Yun stuck in "uploading") issue, meaning I can't seem to upload any sketch including "Blink" example over USB.

I have absolutely no idea what do to right now, I've search high and low, and someone guide me to a definite solution?

Thank you.

rayz93: ::::SNIP::::

I have absolutely no idea what do to right now, I've search high and low, and someone guide me to a definite solution?

Thank you.

@rayz93, It's very common when the Yun does not find it's AP to the internet, that it will reset it self to being a standalone hotspot (AP). It's common a problem, I looking to do a sticky on this.

Either way, please follow the steps outlined in this post. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=197267.msg2072759#msg2072759

TIA Jesse

Hello, thank you for the quick reply.

So I’ve tried everything mentioned in your post,

1. Watched the video and understood every step.
  2. Factory reset my Yun (30 second) and follow the Internet Setup process.
  3. Once done, I tried to upload YunSerialTerminal sketch over COM port (USB).

and this is where I face the “Yun stuck in Uploading” problem, to be more precise it’s the IDE that stuck in the “Uploading”. In short, I can’t upload anything to my Yun, not even a simple sketch like “Blink”.

Edit: Here’s how I know when my Yun is ready/connected to my PC and WiFi, right after the White LED comes on.

rayz93: Hello, thank you for the quick reply. ::::SNIP:::: and this is where I face the "Yun stuck in Uploading" problem, to be more precise it's the IDE that stuck in the "Uploading". In short, I can't upload anything to my Yun, not even a simple sketch like "Blink".

arrggg... Sorry I can't help any more I see you are running Window$. All I can say is check you cables, and check your port speed. Are you using the USB? I think you are. I see COM1. Also make sure of the port speed on your machine.

After that, I sure someone else can take this. If not, post a message to this thread again. I'll do what I can.

Jesse

jessemonroy650: arrggg... Sorry I can't help any more I see you are running Window$. All I can say is check you cables, and check your port speed. Are you using the USB? I think you are. I see COM1. Also make sure of the port speed on your machine.

I was just about to post a very similar reply...

COM1 looks suspicious to me as well, on my laptop (Windows 8.1/64 as well), it will show up as on COM9, in fact all my Arduinos show up on a higher COM port. Beside switching to another USB port (in case the one you're currently using is someone "bad"), I would also recommend on switching out the cable, even if just to rule this out as a source of your problems (test with all available USB ports of course!)...

Port speed should not be an issue as far as the USB port is concerned.

Ralf

Thanks again for the reply, you guys are right, the “COM1” is suspicious.

So I used another USB port with a “better” cable (comes with my Nexus 6, previously I was using a RM5 cable which is about 1euro)

and plug my Yun to a different USB port, and it turns out my computer doesn’t detect my Yun over USB (no COM port shows up, COM1 remains there with/without my Yun), as for over WiFI (IP port), the IDE has no problem detecting my Yun.

Any idea how to resolve this?

Thank you.

AH-HA! I feel so embarrass now, apparently, the driver didn’t install correctly during my initial setup. I retrace all my step back to day 1, uninstall everything and start from scratch. Now my Windows is able to detect Yun over USB.

Thanks all.

rayz93: uninstall everything and start from scratch. Now my Windows is able to detect Yun over USB.

Excellent! As I was reading this thread this morning, I was thinking the same as you: driver problem, uninstall and reload the driver. I'm so glad you knew how to do that, it would've been an ordeal to try and describe it in a post! :sunglasses:

Congratulations on your detective work, I hope it's all smooth sailing for you now.