[SOLVED] ATMega328 on breadboard won't work

Hello,

I have an ATMega328 with the Arduino Uno bootloader bought from E-bay, this one right here.

I've bought some capacitors, resistors, TTL converter and 16Mhz crystal to make this thing.
Here link to the USB to TTL: click here.

I've checked multiple video's on youtube how to make this, I have it as following, TX to RX, and RX to TX (from the TTL converter). I have an LED on PIN number 13 (number 15 on the microcontroller, all good). The crystal on pin 9 and 10 with the 20pF capacitor on both sides (9, 10) to ground connected. On the RST pin from the TTL convert I have a 100nF capacitor.
So when I powered it up the LED blinked a few times, but when I try to upload a sketch I get the timeout error like this:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

So I started to do some research and a lot of people requested to put a 10K resistor between PIN 1 (rst) and the VCC, so I did that and when I power it up it blinks like 5 times more than without, and when I upload a sketch to it the LED will blink some times, but it will STILL give the timeout error and it won't upload.

So there must be a connection anyway since the LED will blink whenever I upload a code.

For now I have no clue what I'm doing wrong and I couldn't find other suggestions to fix this on the internet.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Have you seen this Breadboard tutorial?

I have used it successfully to make Atmega328s work with their internal 8MHz clock but I have never needed to make a 16MHz version.

Make a simple pencil drawing showing how you have everything connected and post a photo of the drawing

Nick Gammon's diagnostic programs may also be helpful if you have another working Arduino.

...R

Follow this tutorial carefully and it should work:

Thanks guys!

I feel really stupid again, after I added a 10K resistor I took out all the wires from RST, TX and RX. For some reason I switched up those wires, even though I checked multiple time on them I just missed it...

Now when I follow Nick's Gammon checklist I re-checked everything and saw I switched them up...

Very stupid, thanks for help!