[SOLVED] - ATTiny85 - Cannot program by any means.

Bought some stuff from SF the other day, been trying to get some ATTiny85 action now for at least 5-6 hrs with absolutely no luck.

1) I bought the Tiny AVR Programmer, https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11460 2) Tried programming several tinys with no success. Got initialization errors, obviously nothing is connected wrong, drivers are OK, IDE is 1.0.3, have tried multiple IDE downloads, board is correct, programmer is correct, tried with MIT board definitions AND arduino-tiny definitions, no success.

3) At this point, I figured something could be wrong with the programmer stick, so decided to try using my duemilanove as ISP. 4) Tried for hours on end getting the initialization failed, finally realized one of the GND pins on my duemilanove wasn't contacting so the ISP sketch never even uploaded...got it uploaded, ran into the not in sync resp=0x00 error, finally fixed that, had to stop using MIT board definitions which fail miserably, started using arduino-tiny defs, got somewhat further, now I get:

stk500_program_enable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x50
avrdude_original: initialization failed, rc=-1
                  Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
                  this check.

avrdude_original: Send: Q [51]   [20] 
avrdude_original: Recv: 
avrdude_original: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

avrdude_original done.  Thank you.

I've tried so many different things to fix this and get a dam simple blink sketch on the stupid thing with no success. This should't be so difficult, really.

The board is correct The serial port is correct The wiring is correct The reset capacitor is present and works The ISP sketch is uploaded, and works, the LED brightens and dims continually

...I have absolutely no clue what to do here. :0

Oh and there's alot more info in the verbose printout above, including info about the Attiny, the fuses, some lines of send and receive, a warning/error? about needing to define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the config file...

EDIT: Also tried with a supposedly newer ISP sketch version linked in this thread http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,150462.15.html with no success. Went back to original ISP sketch, and ran command with -F

Ended up with additional errors:

avrdude: Send: P [50]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_program_enable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x50
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATtiny85 is 1E 93 0B
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed

To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

avrdude done.  Thank you.

EDIT: Got it working. Read on this site http://pdp11.byethost12.com/AVR/ArduinoAsProgrammer.htm

that my error appears to be #4, and the causes are the target avr isn't powered or isn't detected. Sure enough after rebuilding my circuit so many times I ended up missing the power to the tiny. woops!

link is unavailable. Could you update the link to the source? Thank you!