Solved! - avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Hey Everybody,

I recently purchased an Arduino Uno R3. I played around with the basic stuff like blinking and ADC without a problem. My sketches compiled and uploaded without a problem.

I have a 4D systems uOLED-128-G1 from another project and I wanted to output some info to the OLED. I had previously written some code for this OLED for the PIC24F. So I made a few changes to the code to adapt the code to the Arduino.

The code compiled just fine. But as soon as I attempted to upload the code to the Arduino Uno, I received the error avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00. I tried many of the solutions that others have listed on the forum, and I believe that the issue ultimately occurred due to the fact that I had the RX and TX pins (pins 0 and 1) being used by both the OLED and the USB to serial converter. So I disconnected the TX and RX pins from the OLED during the upload. IT WORKED!!! I then reconnected the TX and RX pins from the OLED to the RX and TX pins to the Uno.

How can I keep the TX and RX pins connected during the upload? From what I now understand, the USB to serial interface uses the TX and RX pins and creates a confilct. If I use an FTDI cable, can I get around this? Is the FTDI the same thing as the ICSP?

Lastly, what is the 2x6 header that is adjacent to the reset button?

Thanks in advance.

--Neal

As you discovered you cant have it connected when you are writing to the Arduino, as they will both try to reply to the programming signals, and cause all sorts of mayhem and the programming will therefore fail.

Its just the fact of the matter that the uOLED-128-G1 has a single serial port, and so does the Uno, so you must disconnect them in order to program either of them.

I take it you have looked at their website to find this type of information? I know I have personally read it on a number of the App Notes they provide, related to the Arduino.

Regards
WanaGo