[solved]Breadboard Arduino - having trouble uploading sketch w/ FTDI adapter

EDIT: The solution was to add a capacitor and connect the DTR line to the reset line via capacitor. Thanks to John for the solution.

Hi, I made a bare breadboard Arduino. My first time. I burned the bootloader on a new ATMEGA328P-PU, and tested it by removing the ATMEGA chip from an Arduino Uno board and putting my new ATMEGA chip in. I could program it using that Uno, so that was great.

Now I"m trying to use a FTDI-USB adapter to program my breadboard Arduino, and I'm having issues. At first, when I plug in the FTDI programmer to the bread board and then to my USB port on my PC, I got a device driver installation issue. I had to install the driver for it:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Isn't the Arduino using the same FTDI chip to program? I guess not...?

After I got the driver issue resolved (I think I resolved it), I try programming the basic blink sketch. It kept uploading for a long time and never finished uploading...

Is there some other driver I'm suppose to have installed for this FTDI adapter? I got this adapter from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330939389684?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

EDIT: I have a Arduino Pro mini, and it occured to me to try uploading to that w/ the FTDI adapter. I get a "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00" error when uploading, and the sketch doesn't take.

arusr: Isn't the Arduino using the same FTDI chip to program? I guess not...?

The Arduino UNO uses a small ATmega processor to do the USB-to-Serial job.

Is your DTR line connected to the Boarduino reset line via a capacitor? If not you will need to do a manual reset. Hold down the Reset button (add one if you left that out) and click on the upload button. When the Receive LED blinks (add one if you left that out) release the Reset button.

johnwasser: The Arduino UNO uses a small ATmega processor to do the USB-to-Serial job.

Is your DTR line connected to the Boarduino reset line via a capacitor? If not you will need to do a manual reset. Hold down the Reset button (add one if you left that out) and click on the upload button. When the Receive LED blinks (add one if you left that out) release the Reset button.

Ok, all of that is new to me John. I only have 4 wires connected from the FTDI adapter to the board Arduino: 5V, GND, RX on FTDI to TX on ATMEGA, and TX on FTDI to RX on ATMEGA. Adding a line from the reset of ATMEGA (pin 1) to one leg of a cap, and then the other leg of the cap to the "DTR" line...

IT works!! Thanks a bunch.

BTW, I used a 0.1uF capacitor. Is there a value I'm suppose to use?