[SOLVED] Can’t upload sketch wirelessly to Zero with Yun shield and Arduino IDE

I am using a new Arduino Zero board and new Arduino Yun shield with the following set-up:

• Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
  • Arduino IDE 1.6.9

The Yun shield can connect to my wireless network and I can upload sketches to the Zero board over USB. In the Arduino IDE, I have the Port set to the Yun shield (with IP address) and the Board set to Arduino Zero (Programming Port). When I try to upload a sketch to the Zero board wirelessly by clicking the Upload button (right arrow) on the top of the Arduino IDE, the upload fails and the IDE shows the following error in red text:

Unable to open file /tmp/sketch.hex for reading
avrdude: error: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

/usr/bin/run-avrdude: line 65: can’t open /tmp/efuse: no such file

avrdude: error: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

I can successfully upload a sketch to the Zero board wirelessly if I log into the Yun panel with my browser and use the “Upload Sketch” function in the Yun panel, where you upload a .hex file to the board. I tried uploading wirelessly with Arduino IDE 1.6.8 and had the same problem.

Has anyone else had a problem uploading a sketch wirelessly to a Zero board with Yun shield using the Arduino IDE? Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Thanks,
Rocco

I solved this issue.

In the “Getting Started with the Arduino and Genuino Yún Shield” webpage there is a “Zero boards special note” section that states that you need to verify that the SAMD core installed on your IDE is updated to the version 1.6.6 or later and that the bootloader has been updated accordingly. In that section is a link to how to update the bootloader. I updated the bootloader on my Zero board per the instructions at that link. After updating the bootloader, setting the board on the Arduino IDE to Arduino/Genuino Zero (Native USB Port), and setting the Port to Yun shield (with IP address), I was able to successfully download sketches wirelessly to my Zero board with Yún shield.

Rocco