SOLVED - Cannot interface with the Due as a COM port

Hi all,

I'm building a Windows application to interface with a board I'm working on that uses a SAM3X8E, same as the Due - and am just starting on the programming between Windows and the board.

I'm using a Due to test this interface, however - when I connect the Due (either USB port), it doesn't show up as a COM port in the Device Manager - just as 'Arduino Due Prog. Port' under 'Other Devices' - and the Visual Basic code I've found references COM ports. If however I use my Uno, it shows up as COM 4 and the VB code works with this.

I've written the software on the Due to take a 0 as LED off, 1 as LED on, 2 and LED flash - and I've got three buttons in my VB program, that work perfectly using the Uno.

Any ideas how to either get the Due to show up connected to a COM port, or else how to interface Visual Basic with the Due?

Imports System.IO
Imports System.IO.Ports
Imports System.Threading

Public Class Form1
    Shared _continue As Boolean
    Shared _serialPort As SerialPort

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        SerialPort1.Close()
        SerialPort1.PortName = "com4"
        SerialPort1.BaudRate = 9600
        SerialPort1.DataBits = 8
        SerialPort1.Parity = Parity.None
        SerialPort1.StopBits = StopBits.One
        SerialPort1.Handshake = Handshake.None
        SerialPort1.Encoding = System.Text.Encoding.Default
    End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        SerialPort1.Open()
        SerialPort1.Write("1")
        SerialPort1.Close()
    End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
        SerialPort1.Open()
        SerialPort1.Write("0")
        SerialPort1.Close()
    End Sub

Private Sub Button3_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button3.Click
        SerialPort1.Open()
        SerialPort1.Write("2")
        SerialPort1.Close()
    End Sub

End Class

Many thanks in advance!

EDIT - Oops, I just hadn't installed the drivers for the Due yet...

Just keep in mind, for the future, if you plan to use Linux that for that you don´t need any driver.

:slight_smile:

Bye

Yep - I also use OSX, and didn't require any drivers.

A slightly off but on topic question here then I suppose, what exactly do the drivers tell the PC? Why does the Due not appear connected to a COM port prior to installation the drivers?