SOLVED: cant get a RF module working... E51-TTL-500

All,

I just bought a couple of these and i can’t get them working, heck I can’t even get into programming mode M0, M1, high.

I’m using standard AT commands and the attached program, but nothing is working and I can’t find a data sheet.

Anyone know?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E51-TTL-500-2x-230MHz-Wireless-Serial-RF-Transceiver-Module-UART-TTL-for-Arduino-/191969882254?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial BTserial(2, 3); // RX | TX

char c = ' ';

void setup()
{

Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("Arduino is ready");

BTserial.begin(9600); //not sure what baud rate to use, tried them all...
}

void loop()
{

if (BTserial.available())
  {
    c = BTserial.read();
    Serial.write(c);
  }

if (Serial.available())
  {
    c =  Serial.read();
    BTserial.write(c);
  }

}

Thanks in advance

I found an English data sheet, But i’m not sure what I should be looking for.

Power requirements seem way past Arduino–I don’t know.

Anything stand out?

E51-TTL-500_Datasheet_EN_v1.0.pdf (825 KB)

All,

I could really use some help here, i'm stuck in trying to get this module to work. According to the webpage where I bought this thing, is communication is UART, so I figured it would work with Arduino UNO, like my other UART's do.

So far I can't get it working. I did receive some help from the manufacturer in China and they sent me some programming software--but I cant' get it working through the Arduino--they claim they have never seen anyone use this unit with Arduino--maybe it's incompatible.

Deciphering data sheets is a bit over my head--i know it's alot to ask but can one of you experts have a look at the datasheet and see if it's compatible with an Arduino?

I hate to throw $60 down the drain....

Thanks in advance.

Kris

Post a diagram showing how you have everything wired, and definitely spend a lot more time reading the data sheet.

My reading of the data sheet suggests that you should connect M0 and M1 to ground. Then, two modules should act as a serial connection, provided they are wired and programmed properly. See section 3.2 of the data sheet.

The programming is done in binary. AT commands are not used at all. Section 4.1 describes the default programming status.

You need to check the levels of the AUX output. From the data sheet:

When the module is powered, AUX outputs low level immediately, conducts hardware self-check and set the operating mode on the basis of the user parameters. During the process, the AUX keeps low level. After the process completes, the AUX outputs high level and starts to work as per the operating mode combined by M1 and A0. Therefore, the user needs to wait the AUX rising edge as the starting point of module’s normal work.

Finally, the 230 MHz frequency is unusual and may not be legal to use in many countries.

The default serial data rate seems to be 9600, so do as Jim R suggests and the 2 modules should act as a transparent link. As the data rate over the air link in the default state is only 1.2 Kbits, it means that a data overflow problem can arise if you are trying to send a lot of data continuoulsy. Its possible that the aux pin acts as a hardware flow control, so you may need to monitor this when transmitting.

Thanks for the input so far, i'll keep messing with it.

I'm transmitting data from a high school level "go cart" at the rate of around 20-30 bytes every second over a mile or so. Data is for the pit to see what's going on with the car and can be intermittent. Nothing mission critical but i'm looking for the longest range around $50. These "looked" like they would fit the bill.

Currently I have some 915 mhz units from Holybro and are working but range is not as high as these promised--but they work...

All,

I got these units working, I'll range test them later, but cheering my triumph. For the record, here are my connections.

M0 -> Arduino ground M1-> Arduino ground RDX -> Arduino TX->Pullup using 4K7 (I added this) TXD-> Arduino RX->Pullup using 4K7 (suggested by MFG when using +5 on Vcc) AUX-> Arduino digital for reading but went high immediately Vcc-> +5 GND->Arduno Gnd

Thanks to all for your input,

Kris

KrisKasprzak

I had the same problem. Thanks a lot for your hint. And how you change parameters of the this modul?

My friend, I'm from Brazil and I have the same problem. you could send arduino source code to me, so I try to solve my problem

Hi Kris,

I would like to know what was the air data rate.

I need to transfer at 250 kbps a data that comes from UART signal and receive that data throwing it back to UART signal

Thanks in advance

William

KrisKasprzak: All,

I got these units working, I'll range test them later, but cheering my triumph. For the record, here are my connections.

M0 -> Arduino ground M1-> Arduino ground RDX -> Arduino TX->Pullup using 4K7 (I added this) TXD-> Arduino RX->Pullup using 4K7 (suggested by MFG when using +5 on Vcc) AUX-> Arduino digital for reading but went high immediately Vcc-> +5 GND->Arduno Gnd

Thanks to all for your input,

Kris