[solved] can't in initialize an 16x2 LCD

Hi there,

I’m a bloody newbie… I would like to write a text on a 16x2 LCD Display (the one from the Starter Kit).

But it isn’t doing what I want :frowning: .

The potentiometer is working quite well on the contrast but the LCD only shows the white Bar after compilation.

maybe you can find my error.

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);

void setup() 
{
lcd.begin(16, 2);
}

void loop() 
{
lcd.setCursor(0, 0);
lcd.print("upside"); 
delay (2000); 
lcd.clear();
lcd.setCursor(5, 1);
lcd.print("downside"); 
delay (2000); 
lcd.clear(); 
}

You have your RS, RW, EN wires wrong. There are lots of nice Fritzing diagrams showing neat wiring on a breadboard.

OP image. How to post images.

And you have received more answers in the German version of your enquiry - with a better picture! :astonished:

Hey, thanks for helping.
I would try to find my mistake with the LCD Display.

#3 is right. I did Crossposting because I wasn't sure which Forum is the right one for my issue.

I would prefer to close the case here, but honestly I don't know how to do that.

So do me a favor and please Ignore the post here.

OK, now that you have it working, you can remove the connection between one end of the potentiometer and the 5 V line.

This is a longstanding mistake in the published circuits. If you have a 10k potentiometer, you can in fact connect both ends of the potentiometer to ground.

This will make it easier to adjust the contrast voltage and for what it is worth, save half a milliamp of operating current. :roll_eyes: