[Solved] Clock module overheating, using Arduino Uno

Tl;dr solution: Got the wiring wrong. Also, if you use a non recharable battery in the RTC DS3231, unsolder the resistor. Preferably use a recharable battery.

Hi!

So I’m doing these learning projects and using a beginners kit and a guide book and I’m on the last project now.
A clock thermometer that connects to the internet via WiFi that tells time and temperature using a neo poxel ring and a servo with a pointer.

I think my code is correct so far, there might be som issues but I don’t think the code is the reason for the issue I’m having. When I upload it the clock module(based on the RTC-cirquit DS3231) gets extremely hot. There is a place for a lithium button cell battery which i didn’t have at the beginning so I throught that was the problem at first. But today I went and baught one but it still gets really hot.

The battery that I use is a CR2032 Lithium 3V battery (not rechargeble), which is the correct one according to the manufacturer. However, I’ve been googleing andthis person claims that the clock module I’m using requires a recharble battery in order to function properly.

I’ve attached a picture of the build showing the wiring and all the parts and the code in a .txt file.

Did i burn the clock module when not using a battey in the beginning? Is the battery even the issue here or is there some other common cause for parts over heating?

Thanks!

Code.txt (2.47 KB)

Sculptuino:
... Is the battery even the issue here ...

No, the battery should make no difference.

Check your wiring really carefully, do you have VCC and GND in the right places? is the module plugged into the breadboard in the right place?

How are you providing power for this lot ?

(Note: do NOT plug power into the black power socket on the Arduino itself)

Yours,
TonyWilk

Looks like you have the RTC connected to the VIN pin which is a power INPUT, not output, how much voltage do you have on the barrel jack? The voltage on the VIN pin will be that voltage - 0.65 volts.

If you use standard (non rechargeable) CR2302 batteries in those DS3231 RTC modules (as I always do) you must disable the charging circuit as your quoted article states. I unsolder the resistor. If you fail to do this, the battery may explode in the worst case.

If the module got hot without the battery, you must look for another cause for that and a wiring error or incorrect voltage is the most likely.

Thanks for all your replies! I finally got it to work.

TonyWilk:
No, the battery should make no difference.

Check your wiring really carefully, do you have VCC and GND in the right places? is the module plugged into the breadboard in the right place?

How are you providing power for this lot ?

(Note: do NOT plug power into the black power socket on the Arduino itself)

Yours,
TonyWilk

I actually did get the wiring wrong even though I double checked it several times. Can't be too thorough from start lol.

outsider:
Looks like you have the RTC connected to the VIN pin which is a power INPUT, not output, how much voltage do you have on the barrel jack? The voltage on the VIN pin will be that voltage - 0.65 volts.

Had that in mind when I rewired everything. I rebuilt everything according to the image i posted and it actually works so I don't know, maybe it can be used both as input and output (?).

6v6gt:
If you use standard (non rechargeable) CR2302 batteries in those DS3231 RTC modules (as I always do) you must disable the charging circuit as your quoted article states. I unsolder the resistor. If you fail to do this, the battery may explode in the worst case.

If the module got hot without the battery, you must look for another cause for that and a wiring error or incorrect voltage is the most likely.

Thanks for conforming that! I'll unsolder the resistor, better safe than sorry.