[SOLVED] ESP8266 - Configuring the Arduino IDE

I have the following bits. It is a esp8266 with a USB breakout board.

I was hoping that I could use the breakout board to programme the esp8266 via the Arduino IDE but I get

warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

I am using "Generic ESP8266 Module"

I think it might have something to do with my "Programmer"

Is the above possible and what settings might I need to change?

Make sure you have selected the port of your Arduino board from the Tools > Port menu.
You can find it like this:

• Unplug your ESP8266 + breakout board from the computer.
  • Tools > Port
  • Note the ports, if any, listed in the menu.
  • Close the Tools menu
  • Plug your ESP8266 + breakout board into the computer.
  • Tools > Port - The new port listed in the menu is your Arduino board.

Thanks for that suggestion but I have the correct port (/dev/ttyUSB0) selected. When I unplug the device this port disappears.

I don't have any experience with these breakout boards for the ESP-01 modules. Hopefully someone who has used one will come along with some helpful advice.

Thanks for looking. I however think that I have just found my answer: Programming ESP8266 (ESP-01) using ESP8266 Programmer CH340G Chip Adapter-PART 2 - CodeKrypt

Thanks for sharing your findings. It's a shame they didn't design the breakout to make uploading easier. I guess it's primarily only intended for sending AT commands from your computer to the ESP-01? That doesn't seem tremendously useful.

Totally agree, if you are going to do something it may as well be done well ;). Anyway I can confirm that this works. When I get time I might design my own interfacing shield.