SOLVED heartbeat boards for programming

ok so several years ago i stumbled across a thread somewhere on the internet that instructed you on how to make a heatbeat board and programmer for arduino, you assembled this board, plugged another at chip into that board then mounted that board onto your arduino and used your arduino board to write the code to that second chip making it a standalone IC.

I have been given a commision work peice for model spitfire vs a model messerschmitt in a dog fight and need to add the code i have to the IC to control the lighting for these models. oh and i lost the board i made so have to build it again.

big kink in that plan, cant remember where that thread was nor have i been able to find it again. and i cant remember how to build the board either so i need some assistance and hoping a poor soul can direct this lost soul in the right direction of an appropriate thread.

it was such a simple and workable design too.

god i hope that makes sense.

TLDR: need to make a board to plug in a small AT chip to my arduino load basic code onto it and use AT chip as standalone IC. help with making that board haha.

also, im using an arduino uno r3 mega

SOLUTION: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-program-attiny-using-arduino-uno/

Adafruit had a project using their protoboard: Standalone AVR ISP Programmer Shield Kit - includes blank chip! : ID 462 : $17.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
Evil Mad Scientists went a bit further and did a PCB/Kit: ISP Shield for Arduino

okay so settled on buying one, as your link are american buyers, im in the uk, will this product be adequate?

my concnern is if it will operate the 8 pin ICs like ATtiny45/85

my concnern is if it will operate the 8 pin ICs like ATtiny45/85

Oh. I don't think either one of them will support the HV Serial programming you need for a TinyX5 that has had its reset pin configured for GPIO, which is probably a desirable characteristic. And I don't know whether either is set up for convenient "socketing" of the 8pin chips.

There was also this, but it doesn't do actual programming. https://mightyohm.com/blog/products/hv-rescue-shield-2-x

It's a little odd that an Arduino-based "HV Serial Programmer" hasn't shown up somewhere. It should certainly be possible...

awesome i wont buy that shield then. its fustrating i cant find the thread that i used to build the last one i had years ago.

the current project only needs an 8 pin chip and i dont have the space to use a larger chip but only use whats needed so it really does need to be an 8pin and try and work out a functional 8pin shield for it.

well after a few hours trawling google images under different search parameters i did find this. its darn nugget close as to the one i used years ago.

secretreeve:
the current project only needs an 8 pin chip and i dont have the space to use a larger chip but only use whats needed so it really does need to be an 8pin and try and work out a functional 8pin shield for it.

You can use AtTiny85, ATtiny45, ATtiny13 etc. they are all 8 pin microcontrollers and can be programmed using Arduino IDE / Arduino UNO , Arduino Pro Mini etc.

There's another ATtiny10, which has 6 pins, if its of any use to you.

I'm using the attiny45 for this project. It has the desired number of pins for what I need this to do. Will remember the 6 though for future.