[Solved] Help! I need these motors to run and sync!

I have a motor shield, microcontrollers; two Arduino Unos, all of the wiring necessary, a bread board and two 5v stepper motors.

I want to run both motors in sync with each-other and be able to control them, how would I go about doing this? I need help with coding as well as the wiring setup!

Thank you!

Have a look at stepper motor basics which has a lot of background information.

I don't know what you mean by "microcontrollers" if they are different from your Unos.

A motor shield is a poor choice for controlling a stepper motor and AFAIK it will only control a single stepper motor.

If you want the two motors to move in sync it will be much easier if they are both controlled from the same Arduino.

You have not said what power supply you propose to use with your motors - volts and amps. You should not power any motor from the Arduino 5v pin - it cannot provide enough current and the Arduino may be damaged.

Generally speaking stepper motors are driven at a significantly higher voltage than their nominal voltage and the stepper motor driver ensures that they do not get too much current.

Post a link to the datasheet for the motors that you are using.

...R

Posting the same question on different parts of the forum isn't going to win you many friends.

Duplicate deleted

Motor: http://robocraft.ru/files/datasheet/28BYJ-48.pdf

I also for forgot to mention that I have two ZC-A0591 driver boards? Would they be of any use? Thank you for the help

(Also the motor shield is the Adafruit Motor Shield v2.3 and says"2 steppers or 4DC" on it, so is it possible?)

The 28byj motors are 5-wire unipolar motors and are usually driven with a ULN2003. I don't have any experience with them but there are many Forum Threads about them.

I don't know if a motor shield can drive a unipolar motor.

...R

The driver contains a ULN2003, I tried it with the shield but only could get one to work, do you have any idea how I can hook both motors up with or without the shield?

You can just wire the motors together if the driver can take the increased amount of current. This is what is done on the RepRap Mendel 3D printer for the Z axis.

Is it possible to connect two drivers to two different motors and connect each driver to the same Arudino? Would I be able to program one signal that is sent to both?

[M]-[D]-|__ | A | [M]-[D]-| |___|

shibe: Is it possible to connect two drivers to two different motors and connect each driver to the same Arudino? Would I be able to program one signal that is sent to both?

Yes.

Thank you, how would I go about programming that?

If they really must always stay in sync, then wire the step and direction lines for both drivers to the same Arduino pin.

Then if you ever need to align them individually, like adjusting the Z axis of a printer for level, you can only do this manually when the power is off.

That's a possibility, but I would really like to know how to program the setup aforementioned. Thank you!

shibe: Thank you, how would I go about programming that?

Exactly the same as you program a single motor.

I finally got it working thank you all so much for your help and advice :)