***SOLVED*** How to best cut plastic

Cutting nylon wall plates. I used a dremel last time and result was pathetic, looked like a kid did it. So what's best approach to cut nylon wall plates.

YouTube knows most "how to do it" techniques in my experience.

...R

Water jet.

at home in your garage, probably depending on material and thickness use a utility knife to score it and break... or use a hack saw or band saw. You don't want to go too fast because it will melt rather than cut. A metal cutting band saw is probably a good speed.

Try scoring/scribing it.

Try a sandpaper cutting disc in the Dremel, the paper keeps the material cool.

Try a slow speed scroll/copping saw.

I don’t think they are made of nylon ... but after using a demel or hacksaw ; sand the cut with sandpaper on a wooden block to finish it straight and smooth .

Handheld jigsaw might do well. It cuts polycarbonate pretty well.

A Dremel wheel is probably the worst thing to use unless you have it set p with a guide to work like a router. I would probably use a hacksaw with some sort of guide along side the cut line and cut and use the blade running the full length of the cut line

The wall cover plates available here are now made from nylon.

Paper cutting plastic:

I like sand paper for a bit more resilience.

I used to draw the cut out, then drilled on the inside of the lines then break the bits out and then file it square to the lines.

It take some patients to master and taking your time but get good results
, but now I just use my CNC machine, again this takes time to master but it’s so easy now.

Well CNC and drilling the lines are would acheive the results, one is expensive, other takes patience, which I have little of...

Band saws, no, the cut is IN the wallplate. I'm not trying to hack it in half to fit next to a moulding or something, I'm putting a simple LCD display. I agree saildude, it felt wrong the whole time I was using it. Wall plates are cheap, even the nylon ones. The cheap "plastic" ones shatter like fine china if you so much drill a 3/32".

I think drilling a pilot hole, then say... a 1/4" hole, take a plunge-style sharp pointed saw and cut along lines, using a razor knife, then sandpaper to clean up. Think that'll work? You pointed me in right direction... thankx

EDIT: Yeah, in fact cheaper, one blog used a 40+ tpi hacksaw blade that one third was taped up to act as a handle. I'll be putting in either the 16x2 or 0.91" OLED displays in a wallplate and a siding-moulded block, the latter with silicone and threading of a trip-wire.

You can use hot knife or glass cutter

*** SOLVED *** – here I’m clear on my method. I’ll drill out a 1/2" or so hole on inside of each corner and use a simple jigsaw blade, by itself, with tape as handle. The wider the better.

I still need to make louvered slits for the panel speaker. As much as I hate to the dremel and cutoff might be the thing there. Last time I had a major melting problem becuase I was on high speed (cheap dremel), I’ll use low speed.