[SOLVED] "Multitasking" with an Arduino Mega?

I am working on a project in which I need a timer counting down. But I ALSO need to constantly be checking for key input from a keypad. In the setup, I have a while loop for the timer, using delays to count down one integer every second. I need to be able to check for keypad input while the loop is going on.

I cannot seem to find any other setup than the one I have done…I did kind of trap myself with the delay. I mean, the Mega has a TON of memory and processing power. It has to be able to handle multitasking, yes?

I have tried to understand using timers and milliseconds, but I cannot wrap my head around it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Read this:
http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=12127

http://www.gammon.com.au/blink

Try to avoid delays and while() loops. Make loop() run as fast as possible. It should run several thousand times per second. Most of those times, there's nothing to do: no inputs have changed and no timers have expired.

Sometimes it does something. Try to make that something short. Don't wait for the user to push a button - that's an input that the main loop should be checking.

Have a look at Several things at a time

...R

@ rowanaut20

Let us assume that we have the following two tasks:

1. At the elapse of 200 mS time, we need to refresh '7-seg display unit' being driven by PORTD & PORTB.

2. A switch (K1) is connected at APin-A0. It is to be sampled for close condition and then ignite built-in
    LED (L) of ArduinoUNO.

3. Solution: (for one pass only)

L1: Initiaize T1 to genertae 200 mS Time Tick
              Initialize others as needed (enable internal pull-up at A0-pin and etc.)
        L2:  if (TOV1 has occured)
                 Refresh Display 
        L3:  if (K1 is found closed)
                 Ignite LED (L)
        L4:  Halt
  1. Transform the Pseuod Codes of Step-3 into C codes and accommodate them in the Arduino
    void setup() {} and void loop() {} structures.

Switch delays and while loops and use Threads instead.

Arduino Thread

rezik:
Switch delays and while loops and use Threads instead.

How much overhead does that add on top of something simple like millis() as in Several Things at a Time?

...R

Try playing with this:

unsigned long currentMicros;

unsigned long previousMicros;

unsigned long elapsedTime;

// Initial time to start, 00:00:00 with 0 years, 0 days. 

// adjust as needed.

byte hundredths;

byte tenths;

byte secondsOnes = 0;

byte oldsecondsOnes;

byte secondsTens = 0;

byte minutesOnes = 0;

byte minutesTens = 0;

byte hoursOnes= 0;

byte hoursTens = 0;

void setup(){

Serial.begin(115200); // make serial monitor match

Serial.println ("Setup Done");

}

void loop(){

currentMicros = micros();

// how long's it been?

elapsedTime = currentMicros - previousMicros;

if ( elapsedTime >=10000UL){ // 0.01 second passed? Update the timers

previousMicros = previousMicros + 10000UL;

if (hundredths > 0){

hundredths = hundreths - 1; // decrement

}

else {

hundredths = 9; // else rollover and decrement next digit, ripples thru: 23:59:59:99

if (tenths >0){

tenths = tenths-1;

}

else {

tenths = 0;

if (secondsOnes > 0){

secondsOnes = secondsOnes - 1;

}

else {

secondsOnes = 9;

if (secondsTens >0){

secondsTens = secondsTens -1;

}

else {

secondsTens = 5;

if (minutesOnes >0){

minutesOnes = minutesOnes -1;

}

else {

minutesOnes = 9;

if (minutesTens >0 ){

minutesTens = minutesTens -1;

}

else {

minutesTens = 5;

if (hoursOnes >0){

hoursOnes = hoursOnes - 1;

}

else {

hoursOnes = 9;

if (hoursTens >0){

hoursTens = hoursTens -1;

}

} //hoursTens rollover check

} // hoursOnes rollover check

} // minutesTens rollover check

} // minutesOnes rollover check

} // secondsTens rollover check

} // secondsOnes rollover check

} // tenths rollover check

} // hundredths rollover check

} // hundredths passing check

if (oldSecondsOnes != secondsOnes){ // show the elapsed time

oldSecondsOnes = secondsOnes;

Serial.print(hoursTens);

Serial.print(hoursOnes);

Serial.print(":");

Serial.print(minutesTens);

Serial.print(minutesOnes);

Serial.print(":");

Serial.print(secondsTens);

Serial.println(secondsOnes);

} // end one second check

// MOST PROGRAM TIME WILL BE SPENT BETWEEN THESE 2 LINES, the above will take very little time to execute every 10milliseconds

} // end loop

(Looks much better with CTRL-T in the IDE, I had it saved and the forum threw away all the formatting)

rowanaut20:
See my edit of the original post for what I did.

Please don't make changes to earlier Posts (apart from correcting typos) as it destroys the chronology of the Thread and someone reading it at a later date cannot learn from your experience.

If it is possible to restore the Original Post and add the new stuff after this it would be good.

...R

Wooooo! I managed to solve my problem. I set up a combination of a few answers, and came up with a hacky method of doing this.

void loop(){

while ((endtime - starttime) <=1000)
{
   sevseg.setNumber(join(join(numCode,numCode2),join(numCode3,numCode4)),2);
   sevseg.refreshDisplay();
   keycheck();
   endtime=millis();
}
    a-=1;
   lcd.setCursor(0,1);
   lcd.print("       ");
   lcd.print(a);
   lcd.print(" ");
   tone(buzzer, 1000, 100);
   starttime = millis();
   endtime = starttime;
   if(a<=1) endgame();

}

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread :slight_smile:

rowanaut20:
I cannot seem to find any other setup than the one I have done...I did kind of trap myself with the delay. I mean, the Mega has a TON of memory and processing power. It has to be able to handle multitasking, yes?

Just jumping on this point here, a Mega actually doesn't have any more processing power than an Uno. It has more IO, peripherals, and memory, but the CPUs are clocked the same.

a Mega actually doesn't have any more processing power than an Uno.

And that's why you don't stay up really late programming, get frustrated, and write a question. I don't even know why I said that. But thanks for clarifying! :3

Jiggy-Ninja:
a Mega actually doesn't have any more processing power than an Uno. It has more IO, peripherals, and memory, but the CPUs are clocked the same.

The Mega is even a little slower, because it has to handle longer addresses on calling and returning.

Whandall:
The Mega is even a little slower, because it has to handle longer addresses on calling and returning.

That would make sense. Although, I'd imagined it's just a few milliseconds slower, really. I think the memory makes up for the lost speed, though.

rowanaut20:
Although, I’d imagined it’s just a few milliseconds slower, really.

Microseconds

…R

1. ArduinoUNo uses Atmega328 chip with Flash Space : 0x0000 - 0x3FFF (word address).
    (a) During SUR/ISR call, the MCU saves 2-byte data (the value of Return Address) onto stack.
    (b) While returning from SUR/ISR, the MCU retrieves return address (2-byte) from stack.
    (c) Let us assume that this stack handling time is t1.

2. ArduinoMEGA uses Atmega2560 with Flash Space : 0x000000 - 0x01FFFF (word address).
    (a) During SUR/ISR call, the MCU saves 3-byte data (the value of Return Address) onto stack.
    (b) While returning from SUR/ISR, the MCU retrieves the return address (3-byte) from stack.
    (c) Let us assume that this stack handling time is t2.

3. t2 > t1; this is what has been concisely indicated by Whandall.

rowanaut20:
I have tried to understand using timers and milliseconds, but I cannot wrap my head around it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can use my millisDelay library
https://www.forward.com.au/pfod/ArduinoProgramming/TimingDelaysInArduino.html
or Coding Timers and Delays in Arduino : 7 Steps - Instructables

and for multitasking I have recently published a detailed tutorial for Uno/Mega (and ESP32)
https://www.forward.com.au/pfod/ArduinoProgramming/RealTimeArduino/index.html
or Simple Multitasking in Arduino on Any Board : 12 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

that is very simple to program and does not require the use of an RTOS library.