[solved] Need guidance for components for my car project

Hi. Since there are a lot of different modules and whatnot out there, I need some help choosing whats right for me, hope you can assist.

So I want a controller in my van, its gonna be used to control various relays and some sensors.
I want to be able to control everything with my iphone or a tablet (at least at a later stage).

I know what kind of relays and acc. hardware I need, just not what kind of modules etc I should get. Its important for me not to limit myself for further expansions on my project in the future.
(or is it better to keep it very simple for now, and expand with other modules at a later stage)

Edit: So the new yun should serve me well. If I am correct, this able me to receive and control data from sensors and switches, all from a tablet or phone - with no external router or anything else(?).

The Linux side of a Yun has WiFi and can run regular Linux programs which would make it easy for it to host a server that can be accessed by the browser in a phone.

The Arduino side of the Yun is the same as a Leonardo. However the Serial1 port is used to communicate with the Linux side so that, as standard, it has no spare HardwareSerial.

Without some further information about what, exactly, you want to control - what things, and how many of them - it is impossible to say if the Yun would be able to control them all.

Another option might be a Mega (which has a lot more I/O capability) plus an ESP8266 module to provide the WiFi capability. You can host a server that way but IMHO it will be a lot more trouble than creating the server with Python on the Yun.

Are you aware that there is a specific Yun section of the Forum?

...R

Hi and thx for your comment.

Here is my intended uses: 1. start/stop a diesel heater and read temperature from 2-3 sensors 2. read voltage from battery bank 3. control lights 4.(in the future: Control charging from solar panels) 5. start/stop a fan

So basically it is a easy system, mostly turn relays on/off and reading some sensors.

I really like the possibilities the yun seem to have, if that's the one I'll be sure to post in that forum. I'm thinking it might be over kill for my setup perhaps.

Any other suggestion of what I can work with? (I have to say that wireless communication is something I really want)

(or is it better to keep it very simple for now, and expand with other modules at a later stage)

I highly recommend starting simple.

you didn't say what kind of experience you have in electronics or programming.

but in both cases it can get complicated quickly if you don't break it down into small sections and then piece by piece combine them into a complete program or circuit.

for example:

lets say you write a program that controls the door locks. then test it

next write one that measures speed(speedometer). and test it

You combine those, testing to make sure they work together.

then write some more code that locks the doors when traveling more than 10 mph/kph. and test

next create the code to set up communications. and test

And finally write an app for your phone. and test

I left out a bunch of steps but you get the idea.

If you hadn't guessed I am working on a similar project for my car.

you'll notice that I put communications last. you wont need remote control until you have something to control so you will have lots of time to worry about that later and by then you'll have a better idea of what you will need.

I started with an UNO to do all my development and testing since that is what is used in most all the tutorials etc. Later when I am ready for final install I will choose which board I will ultimately use in the project. That way I still have one to develop the next project on.

Edit: for my project I decided against the yun for the reasons pointed out by Robin2 and will use a separate module for communications. YMMV.

Maybe thats excactly what I needed to hear Hutkikz :) I do have an electrical edu and used to program pls, but years ago, and this is totally new for me. I have a tendency to want it perfect on the first go, but I will do as you recommend so I can at least get started :)

I will order an Uno and some components to play with, and take it from there as I learn the steps.

I do have an electrical edu and used to program pls, but years ago, and this is totally new for me. I have a tendency to want it perfect on the first go

Wow this sounds exactly like me a few months ago including the reality check. but I gotta say I'm having a blast with this stuff even tho it's not going as quickly as I first imagined.

Good Luck with your project . I hope to hear more about it in the future