[SOLVED] Nextion library with the arduino web editor

Hello all I am trying to use the Itead Nextion display library (GitHub - itead/ITEADLIB_Arduino_Nextion) on the arduino web editor. However I am having no luck. After clicking import on the files and waiting for a while I am faced with a window:

Import Detais

LIBRARIES THAT COULD NOT BE IMPORTED:

After some looking around I found that the maximum file size must be 10 mb. I unzipped the library and deleted the latex and html folders and re zipped it. Still same window comes up. Any ideas?

You need to also delete the .HMI files that are in the examples folders to get the library down to an acceptable size. Those files are not used by the library itself so deleting them won't cause any problems.

After that, there is one more problem. Unlike the Arduino IDE, which only requires a library.properties file for libraries in the 1.5 Arduino library format, the Arduino Web Editor requires that all libraries have a library.properties file. If you try to import a library that doesn't have a library.properties file in the Arduino Web Editor, it will fail with the error " library.properties not found" The ITEADLIB_Arduino_Nextion library does not have a library.properties file so you'll need to create one:

Create a file named library.properties in the root folder of the library.

Open library.properties in a text editor.

Add the following text to the file:

name=ITEADLIB_Arduino_Nextion
version=0.7.0
author=Wu Pengfei
maintainer=ITEAD Intelligent Systems Co., Ltd.
sentence=An easy-to-use way to manipulate Nextion serial displays
paragraph=
category=Display
url=https://github.com/itead/ITEADLIB_Arduino_Nextion
architectures=*
includes=Nextion.h

Save the file

Now zip up the modified library and import it into the Arduino Web Editor.

pert:
You need to also delete the .HMI files that are in the examples folders to get the library down to an acceptable size. Those files are not used by the library itself so deleting them won’t cause any problems.

After that, there is one more problem. Unlike the Arduino IDE, which only requires a library.properties file for libraries in the 1.5 Arduino library format, the Arduino Web Editor requires that all libraries have a library.properties file. If you try to import a library that doesn’t have a library.properties file in the Arduino Web Editor, it will fail with the error “ library.properties not found” The ITEADLIB_Arduino_Nextion library does not have a library.properties file so you’ll need to create one:

Create a file named library.properties in the root folder of the library.

Open library.properties in a text editor.

Add the following text to the file:

name=ITEADLIB_Arduino_Nextion

version=0.7.0
author=ITEADLIB_Arduino_Nextion
maintainer=ITEAD Intelligent Systems Co., Ltd.
sentence=An easy-to-use way to manipulate Nextion serial displays
paragraph=
category=Display
url=https://github.com/itead/ITEADLIB_Arduino_Nextion
architectures=*
includes=Nextion.h

Save the file

Now zip up the modified library and import it into the Arduino Web Editor.

Thank you for making the file. What about deleting the latex and html files, since deleting the individual hmi files will take some time?

ningaman151:
What about deleting the latex and html files

Delete those too.

ningaman151:
since deleting the individual hmi files will take some time?

Learn how to use your operating system and it will take you less time to delete them than it did to ask the question. And speaking of time, importing large libraries to Arduino Web Editor takes forever so it’s definitely worth removing everything that doesn’t need to be there. You also have a limited amount of disk space allocated on Arduino Web Editor.

Sorry for the confusing posts, it was by accident. I deleted all the hmi files individually and the library still isn't importing. It gets stuck on the importing window.

What do you mean by "stuck on the importing window"? Even with all the unnecessary files deleted, it's still a big library and takes a ridiculously long time to import.

pert:
What do you mean by "stuck on the importing window"? Even with all the unnecessary files deleted, it's still a big library and takes a ridiculously long time to import.

It remains on the window that says:

Please wait while your file is importing...

I've watched it be there for a few minutes while having the progress bar be full.

I think it takes something like 10 minutes. Be patient.

pert:
I think it takes something like 10 minutes. Be patient.

After waiting around 13 minutes I am received with this window:

Import details

LIBRARIES THAT COULD NOT BE IMPORTED:

That isn't a very helpful error message, is it?

What is the size of the .zip file that you're importing?

pert:
That isn’t a very helpful error message, is it?

What is the size of the .zip file that you’re importing?

9.15 mb

Delete all the .tft files and doxygen.doxy. After that the zip file is only 75 kB and it will import nice and fast!

pert:
Delete all the .tft files and doxygen.doxy. After that the zip file is only 75 kB and it will import nice and fast!

The file size is 4.19 mb for me. That is without the .tft files and doxygen.doxy and hmi files.

I forgot to say, delete the doc folder too.

pert:
I forgot to say, delete the doc folder too.

The size is 737 Kb for me, plus receiving the same window. Deleted the doc folder.

Please post your library.zip file as an attachment in a reply here and I'll check it out. If you click the "Reply" button, you'll see an "Attachments and other options" link that will allow you to make the attachment.

pert:
Please post your library.zip file as an attachment in a reply here and I’ll check it out. If you click the “Reply” button, you’ll see an “Attachments and other options” link that will allow you to make the attachment.

Here you go, thanks.

ITEADLIB_Arduino_Nextion-master.zip (737 KB)

You forgot to delete the html and latex folders so that explains why your .zip file is larger than mine. Despite that difference, I can import the .zip file you attached without any problems; it just takes a little longer to import.

pert:
You forgot to delete the html and latex folders so that explains why your .zip file is larger than mine. Despite that difference, I can import the .zip file you attached without any problems; it just takes a little longer to import.

Still receiving the same window after deleting the html and latex folders. I am using a library computer with hospital internet, maybe these are the culprits.

I think you could be right. I've had intermittent problems before when importing a large library that was still under the size limit and completely valid.

The best solution would be for Itead to add their library to the Arduino Library Manager. All libraries in the Arduino Library Manager are pre-installed in the Arduino Web Editor. It would be very simple and fast for Itead to do this but unfortunately they have not bothered to do so despite it being requested almost 2 years ago: