SOLVED NRF24L01+PA+LNA poor signal on power above min

I am working on making my own RC Transmitter/Receiver.

I found several tutorials and guides using the NRF24L01+PA+LNA.

I have followed some examples and have two Nano's talking to each otehr very well when using "radio.setPALevel(RF24_PA_MIN);"

In an attempt to get the best range possible I have tried setting thet to MAX and HIGH. Unfortunatlly when I do that the connection becomes quite spotty reguardless of the range.

In doing some research I have already soldered on a 10uf electrolytic cap.

Also I am using the adaptor boards that have a 3.3v regulator on them.

I am supplying everything with a steady 5V

I am using the antennas that were supplied with them and there are fairly cheap units from Amazon.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what else I can try to get these working at the higher power levels?

Also is the NRF24 unit the best option for my project?

Thanks.

GForce2010:
Does anybody have any suggestions as to what else I can try to get these working at the higher power levels?

Maybe you need greater distance between the radios. At high power they can overwhelm the receiver if they are too close to it.

The nRF24 should be fine for your project.

...R
Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial

Hi Robin.

First I want to say thanks for youe help, I am curentlly using your SimpleTxAckPayload examples.

At first I thought they might have been too close but even when they are a reasonable distance apaty ( the same distance were I lost contact on the low setting) the connection is still very spotty.

I have continued searching for answers and I have found a couple of possible issues.

1. I am using a breadboard and jumper wires, I am going to make a soldered prototype board to see if that helps.
  2. I’ve found reports from people who are suggesting that some of the cheaper NRF’s can’t handle the power output

Is there that much difference in quality?

I have no personal experience with the high power modules. My requirement has only been for short range radio control of model trains.

...R

GForce2010:

How can the forum know ?

The only details you have provided are 'RC Transmitter/Receiver'

You might know what that means ..............................

srnet:
How can the forum know ?

The only details you have provided are 'RC Transmitter/Receiver'

You might know what that means ..............................

As in Remote Controlled Cars, Planes, Boats etc.

It would be worth temporarily powering the nRF24 with a pair of AA alkaline cells (3v) with the battery GND connected to the Arduino GND just in case the 3.3v regulator cannot provide enough current for a higher-powered transmission.

...R

Thought i would update this incase anybody has simular issues.

I had a suspision that my problems were being caused by the fact that i was still using a solderless breadboard and connecting the NRF24 with jumper wires.

I designed a simple PCB that also included a 800ma 3.3V regulator and powered everything from a 9V battery to make sure I.had no dips in power.

I have just been for a wonder in a field and got up to over 200 meters without issue.

Now to continue designing the finish item.

Thanks for everybodys help.

Thanks for the update.

...R