[SOLVED]Problems using USBasp with Arduino IDE 1.6.10/Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.12

I'm glad to hear it. I couldn't bear to be without my beloved USBasp!

pert: I'm glad to hear it. I couldn't bear to be without my beloved USBasp!

Hi Pert,

It did work the first time. I burnt the bootloader and uploaded a sketch onto a standalone ATmega328p chip using usbasp. But doing it for the second time, gave me the following error,

avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: program enable: target doesn't answer. 1 
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
        Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
        this check

I did try what you mentioned in post no. #4 as to reinstall libusbK, but it's not helping. I am getting the same error. Tried it with another board too, having an ATmega328pb, usbasp seems to not work after the very first time i got it working. Just FYI, i am using 8MHz internal clock. Do i try changing the efuses in the boards.txt file?

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks!

That response indicates a wiring problem.

Curie: Do i try changing the efuses in the boards.txt file?

No. Don'd do this unless you are the author or maintainer of a third party hardware package and know what you are changing and why.

DrAzzy: That response indicates a wiring problem.

No. Don'd do this unless you are the author or maintainer of a third party hardware package and know what you are changing and why.

Okay. Will check on the wiring once again.

Okay.

Thank you DrAzzy.

DrAzzy: That response indicates a wiring problem.

Yes, it was a wiring problem. Now i am able to upload through the usbasp once again. Thank you for the guidance.