[Solved] RGB LEDs that have the largest/best colour range

I have been trying to find an RGB LED that will give me more range of discernible colours then what I've currently been able to notice with say the PL823 or WS2811 RGB LEDs or standard cheap 4 pin RGB LEDs.

I can't remember specifically the colours that it has problems with as I am trying to find that circuit in a pile of moving boxes, but I recall not being able to do some colours that seemingly retail/commercial products can do. Are those ones, like RGB LED rope lights, computer fans, etc using some kind of 'higher end' RGB that I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advanced, I'll try to provide more concrete colours I'm having troubles with as soon as I can. I just want to get the ball rolling for a few v2 projects that will involve RGB LEDs.

For standard 4 pin RGB leds and non-addressable led strips, you can consider using a higher PWM resolution (e.g. 10 bit or 16 bit).

I have no idea if there are addressable led strips that are more than 3x8 bits per led.

Your problem might however be impatience :wink: You have a 24 bit color range with normal RGB leds / led strips as well as with addressable strips and it will take a while to check all colours :slight_smile:

I doubt that rope lights or computer fans have a wider range of colours than ws2812 etc. Probably the same range in fact. What circuit/code/LEDs are you using that is unable to reproduce some of the colours you see elsewhere?

As well as higher bit resolution pwm signals mentioned by sterretje, you might want to look at RGBW LEDs which have a fourth white led in addition to the red, green & blue LEDs.

Often, colour is as much perception by the eye/brain as it is the ratio of red to green to blue. Try using an RGB led to make brown light, for example. You can set the led to the correct levels for brown, but in isolation, it does not really look brown.

It might be interesting to experiment with adding UV to the mix. I've never seen a led combining UV with RGB, so you would need to use separate LEDs behind a diffusing filter.

The eye can perceive about 64 levels of brightness so given that you have 256 levels with 8 bits control is overkill already for a full brightness colour. You might have difficulty making colours that are dim because you then run into the problem of having less levels to play with.

But as Paul says the look of a colour depends greatly on its background and there are many optical illusions based on this fact.

Problem colours are brown and orange, it is almost impossible to have a brown light from an LED.

Thanks for the responses so far, as mentioned prior I'll try to hook up the circuit tonight and give better information on what I'm using code wise. As for RGB LEDs themselves, the ones I've mentioned are the ones I've used so far.

I do recall Orange being one of the colours I have had trouble with, for some reason purple or magenta seems like it may be another one, but I can't remember.

Well one or several libraries seem to have updated since I last used/programmed on the Arduino include one of the libraries I used, FastLED and now I'm able to make some of the colours I previously thought I was having issue with, like orange.

I then checked my PWM drivers, the Adafruit_PWMServoDriver and it seems like there was an updated at some point too and it now is producing colours I though I previously couldn't do.

So....I guess ignore my request and sorry for seemingly pointless thread.