[SOLVED] - Sending Messages to Arduino

I wanted to send data to an Arduino via Bluetooth, and am planning to buy the HC 05 (Bluetooth receiving).
I have to send text to this Bluetooth device and was wondering if the serial communication can accept text. From my understanding, serial communication only communicates in one digit numbers/key codes.
I am asking is if a device sends a message to the Arduino, can it interpret it as text?

PushkarS:
I wanted to send data to an Arduino via Bluetooth, and am planning to buy the HC 05 (Bluetooth receiving).
I have to send text to this Bluetooth device and was wondering if the serial communication can accept text. From my understanding, serial communication only communicates in one digit numbers/key codes.
I am asking is if a device sends a message to the Arduino, can it interpret it as text?

You can send what ever data you like over bluetooth. Yes they are numbers but you can interpret those numbers however you like. As integers or as ascii codes for a string of ascii character that make up a line of text.

Thank you for the quick reply...
I just had one more question: what would a word look like?
example: left --> 76-69-70-84
What is the exact notation that the word 'left' would come in?

char example1[] = "left";
char example2[5] = {'l','e','f','t'};

There are a couple of other ways too. But you should normally use character constants like 'e' instead of bare numbers like 76. Get the compiler to do the work of converting ascii codes.

char example2[5] = {'l','e','f','t','\0'};

I think that that will be a little more universal. It will now be null terminated independent of where it is defined (global, local).

Have a look at the examples in Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data.

…R

I think that that will be a little more universal.

What is more usual is

char example2[] = "left";

Way less typing...

Sorry, only referring to the second example that was given.

Thank you guys so much