[Solved] servo motor load

i am planning to use 5 servo motors , that must all be driven with arduino , the programming part is fine .
though the servos must handle the maximum amount of load they can handle , the thing is when using a single servo with load and arduino the atmega328 heats up .
so i dont think that would be very safe . i need 5 .
so do i need 5 regulators ?

You do need an external power source, USB is not sufficient and the regulator on the Arduino is already to small to regulate 1 servo if powered from 12v. If that's already 5V, you're okay. If that's more then 5V you need to regulate. If you have one regulator that can handle all the current, you're fine. Otherwise you need to split it indeed. Depending on what servo you use it can be 1A per servo or even more for bigger then the normal RC stuff.

You don't drive RC servos continuously to their mechanical limit, they will burn out since they are not
designed to dissipate the power from continuous maximum torque. They are designed to
move flaps on model aeroplanes, which is a light load with a low duty cycle.

MarkT:
You don't drive RC servos continuously to their mechanical limit, they will burn out since they are not
designed to dissipate the power from continuous maximum torque. They are designed to
move flaps on model aeroplanes, which is a light load with a low duty cycle.

exactly , i am working on a model airplane , though moving the light flaps seems to get an arduino to heat up in my case . thank you Mark though .

thank you septillion . you know lipo batteries . i have a 3S one that is connected to an ESC . the ESC has a 5v output for the receiver and the servos .

the thing is , receiver circuits seem to handle all the current pretty much fine . can i connect all the 5 servos to the +5v pin of the ESC with no regulator ? and connect the arduino uno to that same pin ? the arduino has one .

A standalone BEC (5V regulator) would be a better choice because if you fry your ESC, the ESC's BEC (that you are referring to) will cease to work and you will lose control of your flight control system servos. With a standalone BEC, the ESC that runs the motor can get fried by overpowering it and the servos will still function so you can make an emergency dead stick landing with no motor (basically go glider mode to land). Your choice. Experienced RC pilots never rely on the ESC's BEC (servo cable with 5V on it coming out of the ESC) for the reasons given. If you've never burned up an ESC by pushing it too much then you might not know what I am talking about, but if you have ever seen your aircraft catch fire while you're flying it you know what I mean. You really want the servos to work.

thank you very much sir :slight_smile: