[SOLVED] Strange readouts in the Serial Monitor, wrong alphabet?

Hi there, I am very new to arduino, so please bear with me.

I just started playing with a Seeeduino Stalker v3.0, connected to my computer via the UartSBee v4.0 , and I am getting some strange results from the serial monitor in the Arduino IDE. I am using a solar panel to charge a Li-Po battery, e.g. this kit: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Seeeduino-Stalker-Waterproof-Solar-Kit-p-911.html and I downloaded code from the seeeduino wiki to check the charging status of the battery.

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  analogReference(INTERNAL);
  //analogRead(6);
}

void loop() 
{
  char CH_status_print[][4]=
  {
    "off","on ","ok ","err"
  };
  unsigned char CHstatus = read_charge_status();//read the charge status
  Serial.println(CH_status_print[CHstatus]);
  delay(2500);
}

unsigned char read_charge_status(void)
{
  unsigned char CH_Status=0;
  unsigned int ADC6=analogRead(6);
  if(ADC6>900)
  {
    CH_Status = 0;//sleeping
  }
  else if(ADC6>550)
  {
    CH_Status = 1;//charging
  }
  else if(ADC6>350)
  {
    CH_Status = 2;//done
  }
  else
  {
    CH_Status = 3;//error
  }
  return CH_Status;
}

The code verifies fine, and I have gotten it to upload just fine to both a Seeeduino Stalker v3.0 and v2.3, but when I go to the serial monitor window, the returned strings are all in a bizarre alphabet, and look like: " þ?ø??03ðþ?ø? "?

I am thinking that there is somehow a mistranslation occurring, and that the output is being read as extended ascii characters, when they should not be. Does anyone know of any fixes to this issue? Thanks in advance!

System details:
2013 MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.5
most up to date versions of Arduino IDE and FTDI driver,
serial monitor returns proper strings when paired with an Arduino Uno and my own code.

That is often an indication for different baud rates.
This line sets the baudrate to 9600 : Serial.begin(9600);
On the computer, you have to set the serial monitor also to 9600.

Peter_n:
That is often an indication for different baud rates.
This line sets the baudrate to 9600 : Serial.begin(9600);
On the computer, you have to set the serial monitor also to 9600.

Thanks for the suggestion, but still no luck.
I have tried adjusting the baud rate via Serial.begin, and in the serial monitor window with no change in outcome. All combinations of un-plugging, quitting, re-plugging, and restarting do not seem to have an effect. Any other ideas?

a Seeeduino Stalker v3.0 and v2.3

A what?

Have you got a line inversion issue?

AWOL:

a Seeeduino Stalker v3.0 and v2.3

A what?

Have you got a line inversion issue?

AWOL,

Seeeduinos Stalkers (v3.0 http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Seeeduino-Stalker-v3-p-1882.html and 2.3 http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Seeeduino-Stalker-v2-p-727.html ) are main boards that our group is attempting to use for ecological monitoring purposes. They have to be connected to a pc via the UartSBee (http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/UartSBee-V4-p-688.html). All of my connections are in order.

Can you write a simple "Hello World" program and see if that works

void setup() {
   Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  Serial.println("Hello World");
   delay(1000);
}

Have you got an Uno that you can try the code on before trying your more specialized device?

...R

Robin2:
Can you write a simple “Hello World” program and see if that works

void setup() {

Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
 Serial.println(“Hello World”);
  delay(1000);
}

Have you got an Uno that you can try the code on before trying your more specialized device?

...R

Robin, I did as you suggested, but I am still encountering the same problem.

Every second, the monitor prints a string, but it is always in the wrong char set, e.g. “??f<à?à? … … ?þ??fó?ÏÃf ü??f… …”, interestingly, it is not always the same string, as one might expect from a simple mis-translation.

Also, I was able to connect to an arduino UNO board, and have been using it with no such difficulties. It is limited to the seeeduino board/UartSBee configuration.

Issue is solved!
A stupid oversight on my part, but I will post here never the less, so if any other gumby is stumped in the same way I was, they might find help.

The seeeduino device must be selected as a 3.3v board in the arduino IDE, and NOT a 5v.
that is all.