(SOLVED) Trying to reduce power drain.

In trying to reduce power drain I loaded the sketch H, at Gammon Forum : Electronics : Microprocessors : Power saving techniques for microprocessors

#include <avr/sleep.h>
#include <avr/wdt.h>

const byte LED = 9;

void flash ()
  {
  pinMode (LED, OUTPUT);
  for (byte i = 0; i < 10; i++)
    {
    digitalWrite (LED, HIGH);
    delay (50);
    digitalWrite (LED, LOW);
    delay (50);
    }

pinMode (LED, INPUT);

}  // end of flash

// watchdog interrupt
ISR (WDT_vect) 
{
   wdt_disable();  // disable watchdog
}  // end of WDT_vect

void setup () { }

void loop () 
{

flash ();

// disable ADC
  ADCSRA = 0;  

// clear various "reset" flags
  MCUSR = 0;     
  // allow changes, disable reset
  WDTCSR = _BV (WDCE) | _BV (WDE);
  // set interrupt mode and an interval 
  WDTCSR = _BV (WDIE) | _BV (WDP3) | _BV (WDP0);    // set WDIE, and 8 seconds delay
  wdt_reset();  // pat the dog

set_sleep_mode (SLEEP_MODE_PWR_DOWN);  
  sleep_enable();

// turn off brown-out enable in software
  MCUCR = _BV (BODS) | _BV (BODSE); // <-- error was on this line ------
  MCUCR = _BV (BODS); 
  sleep_cpu ();  

// cancel sleep as a precaution
  sleep_disable();

} // end of loop

When I compile I get error “BODS” was not declared in this scope about 8 lines from the bottom.
I suspect it is a problem of not finding a library file, but does the IDE not give an indication on one of the
#include <avr/sleep.h>
#include <avr/wdt.h>
lines.
I am lacking a bit when it come to library usage.
Thanks, Jack

What board/MCU are you using? The code compiles OK for me with Arduino Uno selected as the board.

Hi Jack, I have the board set to the leonardo, but did not have it plugged into the usb. I just hit compile, not upload.
Maybe you have those libraries, and I don’t ? If you did not have a library on your computer, what/when would it tell you ?

I just tried

#include <avr/wdtJWP.h>

at the top of the example blink sketch, and it compiled, with no errors. So, I guess it does not care if the included library is missing (no error, no warning). Looks like I need to learn how to download these libraries.

BTW, did you put a amp meter on there, and get any results?

#include <avr/wdtJWP.h>
OR
#include <avr/wdt.h>

Ha Larry,
I tried #include <avr/wdt.h> first, and got the error.

Then I tried #include <avr/wdtJWP.h> just to see if it would tell me that the library was not found (and it didn’t). I still got the same error lower in the code tho.

JWP hum you are JWP OK.

FYI:
http://code.google.com/p/narcoleptic/

Ha Larry, thanks for the link. It does not work right for me, Did you try it with any success?

Thanks, Jack

Yes.

Further.
From the Arduino CookBook page 627:
A standard Arduino board would run down a 9-volt alkaline battery in a few weeks (the Duemilanove typically draws more than 25 milliamperes [mA], excluding any external devices that may be connected). You can reduce this consumption by half if you use a board that does not have a built-in USB interface chip, such as the Arduino Mini, LilyPad, Fio, or one of the Modern Device Bare Bones Boards that require the use of an external USB interface for uploading sketches. Significantly greater power savings can be achieved if your application can suspend operation for a period of time—Arduino hardware can be put to sleep for a preset period of time or until a pin changes state, and this reduces the power consumption of the chip to less than one one-hundredth of 1 percent (from around 15 mA to around 0.001 mA) during sleep.
The library used in this recipe provides easy access to the hardware sleep function. The sleep time can range from 16 to 8,000 milliseconds (eight seconds). To sleep for longer periods, you can repeat the delay intervals until you get the period you want:

void longDelay(long milliseconds)
{
   while(milliseconds > 0)
   {
      if(milliseconds > 8000)
      {
         milliseconds -= 8000;
         Narcoleptic.delay(8000);
      }
      else
      {
        Narcoleptic.delay(milliseconds);
        break;
      }

}
}

Sleep mode can reduce the power consumption of the controller chip, but if you are looking to run for as long as possible on a battery, you should minimize current drain through external components such as inefficient voltage regulators, pull-up or pull-down resistors, LEDs, and other components that draw current when the chip is in sleep mode.

I highly recommend the "Arduino CookBook".

I was able to compile the code by remarking the two lines that used BODS.
I found that I already had the libraries on my computer.

//MCUCR = _BV (BODS) | _BV (BODSE);
  //MCUCR = _BV (BODS);

It ran on my leonardo, consuming 40ma when awake, and 9ma when sleeping. Powering with 5 volt external.
That is not a bad savings for the leonardo.

Mission accomplished, (but still don't know why I had to remark the lines using BODS).

Thanks for the help.

jackwp:
Mission accomplished, (but still don't know why I had to remark the lines using BODS).

The Leonardo's 32U4 MCU does not have the capability for software to disable the BOD, so it has no BODS/BODSE bits in the control register. Nick's page was for the 328P MCU. If I choose Board > Leonardo I can duplicate the errors.

OK, that makes sense. I was really scratching my head for a while.
Thanks, Jack