[SOLVED] Unrecognized signature ATMEGA328p-pu

EDIT: SOLVED! Though, I got a new problem, I managed to upload a blink sketch to the chip, but when I tried again, it won't work! It says that there is a bootloader on it, but it won't accept sketches.

Hello! It seems that the ATmega chip detector won't detect my 328p-pu.

Gammon Forum : Electronics : Microprocessors : How to make an Arduino-compatible minimal board I followed this, and I have digital9 wired to pin 9 on the 328p, using it as the oscillator. If I don't have have digital9 and Pin 9 connected it won't enter program mode it seems.

Could it be that I have uploaded a program to the 328p or burnt something to it, and that it has become "corrupt"?

I am not very good with microprocessors, but there seems to be some information on it, but no bootloader et.c...

Atmega chip detector.
Written by Nick Gammon.
Version 1.12
Compiled on Feb 11 2015 at 14:32:17
Attempting to enter programming mode ...
Entered programming mode OK.
Signature = FF 1E 02 
Unrecogized signature.
LFuse = 00 
HFuse = DE 
EFuse = FD 
Lock byte = EF 
Clock calibration = 00 

First 256 bytes of program memory:

0: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 
10: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 
20: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 13 FF FF 15 15 FF FF 16 17 
30: 18 18 FF FF 1A FF FF FF 1C 1C FF FF 1E 1C FF FF 
40: 20 20 FF FF 22 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 
50: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 
60: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 36 FF FF FF 
70: 38 20 FF FF 3A FF FF FF 3C 3C FF FF FF 3C FF FF 
80: 00 FF FF FF 42 FF FF FF FF 44 FF FF FF 46 FF FF 
90: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 
A0: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 
B0: FF FF FF FF 5A FF FF FF 5C 5C FF FF 5E FF FF FF 
C0: 20 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 64 FF FF FF 66 FF FF 
D0: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 
E0: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 
F0: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

Perhaps a bad connection of a (bad) breadboard.
I don't recognize that signature either, the 'FF' seems wrong.

I had exactly the same problem. Traced it (eventually) to a short on the board and displacing some connections 1 up on one side.

That's strange.

We see a few odd things:

1. It is clearly communicating with the chip, particularly as you can read the fuses, and the first fuses, at 00, would explain why you need the external clock.

2. Device ID is being read incorrectly, or has been overwritten with garbage.

3. Flash is clearly not empty, but it also doesn't look like it could be valid flash.

Check:

• All wiring. Make sure that 0.1uf bypass cap between ground and vcc is there; I've seen other people here reporting anomalous results when using ICSP without a bypass cap.
  • Was an attempt already made to burn bootloader, possibly with bad wiring or missing bypass cap? It could be that it's reading the chip correctly, and the chip is just full of garbage because of a failed programming attempt.
  • Try to read it using another arduino, or read another arduino's chip - this will help you to determine whether you're reading it wrong, or you're reading the chip right and it's full of garbage.

Thank you! I managed to solve it! I think that I skipped one step on the pin row! I didn't have 12 plugged in. Though, I managed to upload a blink-sketch to it, it won't work now!

o.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/tty.usbmodem1a21 -b19200 -Uflash:w:/var/folders/Dt/DtRJhJphE+OZ-MaLpSLuAE+++TM/-Tmp-/build4480223235345521713.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 18:52:52
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/henrikthomasson/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/tty.usbmodem1a21
         Using Programmer              : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [03] 
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x03

avrdude done.  Thank you.

What won't work ?
If you upload a sketch with a programmer, the bootloader is removed. To get the bootloader back again, select the "burn bootloader" from the menu, and use the programmer.