[SOLVED] Uploading Error with Arduino UNO

Hey everyone!

I am having some problems uploading a sketch in my arduino. I have Arduino Uno-R3 with a board connected on top. If I try to upload the code, it gives me this error:

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\35191\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM5
     Using Programmer              : arduino
     Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x20

avrdude done. Thank you.

However when I remove the board on top, the upload is completed but the robot won't work. Any tips on to how to solve this problem ?

work with different set of code to clear the error.

I have tried to upload the most simple example of the arduino, and it still doesn't work :frowning: It is not able to upload for example Blink with the board on top.

Does the error persist if you remove this board?

Can you upload if you disconnect the board on top?
Are you using pins 0 and/or 1?
Is COM5 the correct port? ( does it disappear if you disconnect the board ).

No. Without the board on top, the code is uploaded.

So the board is probably using pins 0 and 1. What is the board?

Yes, i can upload. The board that I am using is Braccio Shield V4. It is part of the robot Braccio.

Anything connected to the yellow (?) connector next to the reset button on the Braccio? That can possibly interfere with the uploads.

Do you have motors connected? If so, how do you power the Braccio?

No, nothing. I have 6 motors connected and I power the Braccio directly to the AC power supply.

I think that I'm out of options, sorry.

Ok no problem! Thanks for your help!

No short circuits on the Braccio board or external power supply? GND's properly connected?

No, I don't think so. I checked the voltage and it was ok. I will try with other wires, though. Do you think this problem will disappear if I upload the code via wifi?

The next thing I would try is disconnecting everything from the Braccio shield, then seeing if you can upload to the Uno+Bracchio shield combo by itself.

I'm not familiar with OTA updates of an Arduino Uno and I didn't think it was possible in the first place due to lack of native WiFi support of this board.

Does the Arduino actually run with the Braccio board attached? I.e. is everything functional apart from uploads?

No, it still doesn't upload.

Yes, I have another Arduino Uno which is Arduino Uno Wifi REV2. Yes, I think so.

After looking a bit more on the topic, I think the main issue is that I am doing the upload using a USB cable.

"On Uno, Nano, Mini, and Mega, pins 0 and 1 are used for communication with the computer. Connecting anything to these pins can interfere with that communication, including causing failed uploads to the board."

So normally, if I upload the sketch (for example testBraccio90) without the Braccio shield on top, and then I add it, the robot works as predicted. The only problem is that I am trying to communicate with Raspberry Pi, so when I add the shield, the robot stops sending information to the raspberry.

You will have to look at the schematic of the Braccio board; I could not find one for V4 (only V1) and pins 0 and 1 are not used; they are passed on to the yellow connector that I mentioned earlier.

I would probably get a multimeter out and check the board for shorts on pins 0 and 1.

It finally works!!!! I took this comment

and actually I verified that there was a soldering bridge on the backside of the motor shield between two pins.

Thank you so much for your time!

2 Likes