Solved : USB vs External Power Connection

I have an external wall outlet power supply that provides power (5V) to the Arduino Uno via the barrel jack connector. The power supply cables goes into an "on/off" switch and the cable from the switch goes into the barrel jack connector on the board.

I have a USB connection to the board from my laptop in order to send data to the Serial Monitor.

PROBLEM: When I place the on/off switch in the OFF position, I want to no longer provide power to the board. But the USB port continues to supply power to the board which negates the usefulness of the on/off switch.

Any idea on how I can resolve this issue ?

waynebordone@gmail.com:
I have an external wall outlet power supply that provides power (5V) to the Arduino Uno via the barrel jack connector. The power supply cables goes into an "on/off" switch and the cable from the switch goes into the barrel jack connector on the board.

I have a USB connection to the board from my laptop in order to send data to the Serial Monitor.

PROBLEM: When I place the on/off switch in the OFF position, I want to no longer provide power to the board. But the USB port continues to supply power to the board which negates the usefulness of the on/off switch.

Any idea on how I can resolve this issue ?

By disconnecting the USB cable? :grin:

What's the functionality you intend (what's the problem of having the arduino powered via USB only)?

Regards.

From an Operational perspective, pulling the USB wire out of the laptop or out of the Arduino board is not an elegant solution when you want to shut down the board.

Using the on/off switch was my solution. But the USB continues to power the board.

Also, the sketch works properly whether or not the USB wire is connected to the board. Therefore the barrel jack plug will always be connected to the board.

So buy or make a data-only USB cable i.e. with no 5V wire. It will still work for data.

Steve

Thanks Steve